Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It had been a long week and Eli, Nate and Marcus were finally getting some down time. Nicolas, the leader of both the Pack Security and its Enforcers had run them all ragged the past two weeks. They were not only training the Packs novice youth, but assessing the abilities of the juveniles to see who were ready to go on to the next level.

Those that were ready would patrol the borders of the Pack territory. They would be paired with one of the experienced men and rotated on and off for several months. Based on their performance they would either be billeted and utilized from time to time, or move on to something of their choosing. At the end of the day the choice was theirs, but for the most part they all wanted to show their readiness by working the border and protecting the Pack.

This was in a sense a rite of passage for the young men, one they took seriously as it was also a mark of moving from boyhood to manhood. There were three boys ready and Nicolas would work with them separately getting them up to speed before assigning each to one of the experienced men.

So it was that three tired Enforcers pulled into the parking area of the local bar ready for a few brews and a bit of down time, but this was not to be. As they pulled into a car space Eli caught sight of two kids moving behind the dumpster at the back of the lot.

What he noticed did not please him. They moved like Were’s and he was fairly certain they weren’t any of the kids he knew from the Compound. He sent a silent message to his companions then they got out of the car and with all the stealth of their kind silently positioned themselves so that they surrounded both kids.

Neither of the kids made a sound, but the oldest boy stood moving the younger one behind him. He would protect him, even against three fully grown Were’s. Eli wasn’t sure if he should be impressed or berate the child for being so foolish.

He held his hands palms outward to indicate he meant them no harm then took a step closer. The boy tensed and growled soft but audibly. Eli realised this was a warning so he stepped back and took another tact.

“My name is Eli; my friends are Nate and Marcus. We’re from the Pack that resides in this area.” He paused hoping one of the boys would say something.

When they remained silent he continued, “I know what you are, both of you. If you’re runaways and in need of help we will take you to our Compound for the night. In the morning you will speak with our Alpha, Braedon Romanoff but…”

The older boy spoke cutting him off, ‘Romanoff? Does your Alpha have a brother named Nicolas?”

“Yes, Nicolas our Alpha’s brother is.”

“Then we will come with you, I would speak with your Alpha and his brother.”

Eli moved aside so they could walk out to the open but when they didn’t move, “Nate, Marcus why don’t you go ahead and open the car, we’ll follow?”

He smiled when they followed the two men, “I gave you my name and the names of my friends. Will you return the favour?”

The older boy stopped and turned to Eli, it was difficult to see his face clearly in the fading light. That he was wearing a hoodie didn’t help, but he answered Eli’s question.

“I’m Cade and this,” he indicated the smaller boy, “is my brother Cord.” That said they continued on to the car.

Eli heard someone’s stomach grumbling and guessed rightly that neither had eaten recently. Nate had heard as well and looked at Eli, “How about we hit the burger shop on the way out of town?”