Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Kasey and Chrissy arrived several minutes later and set about organising lunch for everyone. Jaz had been upstairs watching over Cade and when she descended the stairs found everyone at the foot of the stairs waiting for her.

She looked at each person there and noted the two women coming in from the kitchen. Cades still asleep, she’s exhausted and the blood loss has weakened her even more. I gave her a sedative.” She looked at Eli, “She’ll be worried about Cord and everyone else and I need her to rest.”

“Cade should be out for a few more hours but when she wakes up I don’t want her inundated with visitors, at least not until she’s up and around okay.”

She got a chorus of “Okays!” and smiled. She was worried and more than a little angry about what had happened and she planned on speaking to both her brothers about it. She was the Pack doctor and as such she pulled rank when it concerned the health of each member within the Pack.

Kasey came forward then, “Sit down Jaz, Chrissy and I are organising lunch and right now you look like you could use a cup of coffee.” she turned to Chrissy and saw that she’d already poured a cup for Jaz and Eli.

She set them down on the coffee table then turned to the boys, “Guys, how about you come into the kitchen with me, I’ve got drinks for each of you and…” she indicated Eli and Jaz with her head.

All three boys stood and followed Chrissy into the kitchen leaving Jaz, Kasey and Eli to speak. “I want to see her?” asked Eli.

“You can see her for a few minutes, but first we need to talk.” Jaz looked at Kasey who nodded then pulled a protective wall around the room ensuring that the boys wouldn’t hear them. “Thank you Kasey,” she took a sip of coffee and put it back on the table before speaking.

“When Cade and Cord first arrived here it was plain to see they needed feeding up. Cade especially because it was her job to care for Cord.” She sighed, “She took charge of Cord from a young age and in many ways became his mother. Their lives weren’t anything like the children’s here. There were times when she did what any mother would have done to protect her cub; she’d go without to make sure he had enough.

Cade told me that towards the end she was hunting for all three of them. She also told me that her father took what he wanted first; whatever was left was shared between Cade and Cord. More and more towards the end there wasn’t enough for three so she went without to make sure Cord didn’t go hungry. Eli,” she reached out and took his hand, “Cade was borderline malnourished when she arrived.”

She could sense his anger but she lifted a hand to his lips to shush him, “I don’t know the full story where her father is concerned, but from what little I’ve learnt he was a selfish bastard that didn’t give a damn about the welfare of his children.”

Chrissy came in then and Jaz could immediately feel Eli calm, “I sent the boys over to help Erica with Kyle, it’ll keep them occupied for a while. I made sandwiches for them to take with them, so they should be okay for a while.”

Chrissy sat down on the coffee table in front of Eli and Jaz. She reached out and took Eli’s free hand, “Okay Jaz, I’ve got him.” she smirked when she saw the look on his face, “you’re my friend Eli I’m gonna help, so suck it up okay.”

He shook his head knowing he had no choice then turned back to Jaz knowing she had more to say. “Because she was malnourished and I’d bet it was for a lot longer than she let on, her body didn’t develop as it should have. When she hit puberty she was working her body as hard as of our males. She was pushing herself hard and that along with the fact that she wasn’t eating properly or enough stunted her development.”