Chapter 11

Chapter 11

For the next few afternoons Eli made sure he was free to be at Jaz’s house to watch over Cord and keep him company until his sister got home. He was thankful Angelique came home with the little guy and helped out with his homework before she headed to her own home. This gave him time to do anything around the house that needed doing then heat the casseroles that Gilbert prepared for them.

They also got to do some guy, stuff, while dinner was cooking. Eli enjoyed the time he got to spend with his soon to be brother-in-law and was grateful that Cord was completely relaxed with him, now that he knew Cade, was his mate. He smiled to himself because things could have been a great deal more difficult for him if Cord didn’t like him. He didn’t want to think about what he might have had to deal with if Cord that was the case.

                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cade worked tirelessly each day beginning with the training session with Nicolas and her three knew companions, then working Cord through his session, before shimmering away with Trace to work on her swordsmanship.

As tired as she knew she’d be by the end of the day, Cade looked forward to the workout she’d have each day with Trace, always meeting him with a smile on her face and anticipation in her eyes.

The first few days they talked a great deal as they worked first with the knives and easing into the sword. Their conversations weren’t just chit chat they were a means of giving Cade information and also to ensure they built a rapport… a friendship. Trust was imperative if Trace was to teach his charge all he could.

They talked about each other’s lives although Trace did a great deal more of that than Cade. He did after all have a great deal more memories to pull on and during their rest breaks Cade would sit entranced as she listened to him.

By the third day Cade and Trace were working almost as one. When Trace made a move Cade made a counter move. If Trace told her to do something she’d do it without question. On the fourth day Trace produced two swords and her entire face lit up.

“We will go slowly to begin with; I do not want to incur the wrath of your mate.”

Cade snorted. “He’s not my mate yet,” she grinned. “Let me worry about Eli okay.”

He nodded acknowledgement and left it at that.

Cade got several nicks and cuts on her arms but didn’t complain; it was to be expected as she’d never held a sword before. She knew it would take time before her use of a sword became an extension of her own body and she knew herself well enough to know that she’d work tirelessly until she achieved her goal.

What Cade was doing was new and challenging and she was enjoying every minute of it… even if Eli wasn’t. Cade appreciated that he was there to take care of Cord in the afternoons and that he got dinner for them, but the expression on his face when she came home after her first lesson with a sword was not a happy one. She felt her stomach do little flip flops and had to force herself to remain calm.

Eli stood as if frozen for a full minute looking her over before moving towards her. He tried to sound calm but failed. “Show me your arms!”

He took hold of her arm and all but dragged her into Jaz’s makeshift surgery sitting her on the bed before turning to the cabinet holding medical supplies. “Don’t move these wounds need to be tended.”

“Wounds… Eli they’re scratches they’ll be gone by tomorrow.”

Eli brought back what he needed so he could clean up her arms and put a soothing salve on the cuts. Cade watched his every move. “Eli?”