Epilogue

Epilogue

When she finally opened her eyes it was to see Eli sitting beside her. She tried to get up but he gently pushed her back down. “Easy my love, you need your rest.”

“Cord… Jaz?”

“They’re down stairs, with Taylor and Leith. They’re all anxious to see you up and around, but please take your time.”

Cade nodded and settled back on the bed, she reached out and immediately his hand was in hers.  For a time they remained silent, no words were necessary. They were together, Cade was alive and conscious and the bond between them had grown to the point where they sensed each other’s needs.

“I can’t believe it’s over. I mean it’s been my whole life and now…” Cade shook her head slowly. “They came to me when I was asleep, the Spirit Lights. The woman told me if I needed help I should speak to them through the wind and they’d answer the same way.”

Eli gave her hand a squeeze, “Our lives will never be boring Cade and I can live with that because I have you.”

She smiled up at him and pulled herself up into a sitting position. “I need a shower, is it… umm…” she sighed, “Am I healed enough so I can?”

“Yes, you’ve healed a great deal faster than we thought you would. Jaz thinks it might be part of your being a Guardian. Take your time with your shower my love; I’ll wait downstairs with everyone else.”

Eli left the room feeling a lot lighter than he had we he first went in there. She was awake and had almost completely healed. He had to wonder what other things life with Cade would bring. He moved down the stairs and took a seat in the living room with everyone else waiting for Cade to come down.

Cade took her time in the shower; she smelt of smoke and ash and wanted to shed herself of both. She washed and conditioned her hair as well, knowing the smoke would have gotten into it as well. She dressed in a pair of soft grey track pants and a tank top. She didn’t want to cover her wounds; she wanted them to have as much air as possible to seal the last of the healing.

Cade didn’t worry about shoes or socks, and once her hair was towel dried and brushed through she headed for the stairs. She half expected to see everyone there waiting for her as they had been the night before and was grateful they weren’t.

As Cade came to the doorway leading into the living room she felt everyone turn to her. “Hey,” she smiled. “I’ve got no idea what time it is, but I’m starving.”

Within seconds everyone was standing in front of her, first Cord and Jaz hugged her then Taylor and Leith. Eli waited until they were done and put an arm around her leading her into the kitchen.

Jaz was ahead of him already heading for the fridge. She prepared a meal for everyone and Cade ate her fill. Cade looked at each person sitting at the table, “Are you all okay? I mean, Jaz that had to be hard for you to see. And Eli, guys how… when, I mean…”

The guys gave Eli a nod, “All three of us were all sent a dream, showing what we needed to do, if we were to prove ourselves worthy enough to stand with you. We didn’t tell you because we didn’t want you to worry and you would have. This was our choice Cade and we succeeded in what was asked of us.”

“Good, because I know I’m going to need you all with me at some stage. Taylor, Leith it will be a while before Nicolas gives you the go ahead and if you want, we can do extra training sessions. All four of us could maybe train together at times.”