Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Cade and Jaz spent a good deal of time the night before explaining to Cord what had taken place at the meeting. He was okay with what he was told, a little overwhelmed but okay so long as he still got to spend time with her. She woke early next morning to find her brother snuggled up next to her in bed.

She couldn’t help but smile at him and snuggled in closer to him wanting to soak up the feeling of closeness she had with her brother. All too soon he’d be grown into a juvenile and she wasn’t at all sure he’d want to be this close to her then. Cade smiled and brushed the hair back off his face.

He looked so much like their father his curly hair a rich chocolate brown that matched his eyes and highlighted his tanned skin. Cade had always had fair skin just like her mother’s but Cord was like a miniature version of her father. He would be tall and broad when he finished growing and even though she knew he’d still be respectful to her, she’d have to look up to him literally and she never did like having to do that with anyone.

Cade relaxed and snuggled up closer to Cord, she had a few more minutes before she had to get moving. She kissed the top of his head and sighed, “Maybe we did do the right thing in coming here.”

“Yeah we did Candy and…” he turned over so he could look her in the eye, “you’re not broken like our father said. I hated that he said that about you.”

Cade smiled down at her little brother and to break the seriousness of the situation she tickled him sending him into a gale of laughter. A few minutes later Jaz was calling out to them both. “Breakfast is almost ready!”

They stopped when they heard her and scented the air before both racing to get ready to go down and eat. Cade was halfway down the stairs when she sensed Eli close by. When she got to the bottom of the stairs she headed for the front door and opened it knowing he’d be there momentarily.

He smiled when he saw her in the doorway and Cade nodded in acknowledgement. She could see his expression become serious, “Is everything alright, I mean with me and today?”

Eli moved along side of her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, “Yes my sweet Candy everything is fine. I just wanted to make sure you have a full breakfast before you leave, you won’t be training with your usual group this morning and you won’t have time to come back and eat after you train with Cord.”

Eli’s stomach growled as he walked into the kitchen with Cade and was immediately invited to stay and eat. Cord was curious about what was going to happen with his sister and studies Eli’s face.

“What’s Cade going to be doing today, she’s still training with me right?”

Both Cord and Cade turned to Eli and waited. “Yes your time together will remain the same as much as possible.” He grinned up at Jaz as she put a plate of food in front of him.

“First off you’ll spend time with Nicolas and the three young men that are about ready to go on rotation. He wants to see how you work with them, get a sense of what your true strengths are and he doesn’t want you to hold back with them.”

Cade could feel her face flush, she’d been holding back some the past few weeks she just didn’t realise anyone had noticed. She was comfortable where she was training with Taylor, Leith and the other guys and comfortable wasn’t something she ever had. She wanted to keep it for a while, but she knew Eli was right she had to up her game and show him and Nicolas what she was made of.

“Okay no more holding back just umm; don’t say anything to the guys please?” he gave her a nod and she went back to her food.

Jaz cleared her throat, “I’m not going to be around for the next couple of days, I’m going up into the mountains to visit with some of our Elders. It’s time for a few of them to have a check-up and Gilbert usually makes a few treats for me to take with me.”