CHAPTER FIVE

It was just before daylight when Becky and I snuck back to our houses. I was quietly making it up the ladder when I noticed the window was closed. I vaguely remember leaving it open, but I could be mistaken. It seemed stuck as I tried to push it up with the palms of my hands, and trying to pry it open with my fingernails.

            My hands slammed against the frame in frustration and I had to take a deep breath to try to keep myself from panicking. I knew I didn’t have a choice but to go in through the front door, hoping of course it was unlocked. I would just have to be mouse-like so not to wake anyone up.

            Climbing back down the ladder, I started to walk around the house to the front door, silently praying to myself that it would indeed be open. There would be a lot of explaining to do if I was caught locked out of my own house. Well not really, I’m sure the situation would explain itself. Wearing the same clothes from yesterday, my hair’s all a mess tangled with leaves and twigs. My shorts were dirty from sitting on the wet grass all night. Somewhere in the night I lost my flashlight, and it was a bad choice to bring black flip flops, I couldn’t find them anywhere. I’m convinced a squirrel ran off with them, a very fashionable squirrel with good taste.

            My heart was pounding and I could swear I stopped breathing as I reached for the door handle, slowly turning the knob.

            And to my relief it was left unlocked. I opened the door just enough to squeeze inside, closing it behind me. And silently I headed for the stairs, taking two steps at a time, I was almost safe. No one would have ever known that I spent the night with Becky, or what we spent the night doing, I smiled at the thought.

            But my happy thought was short lived.

            “What the hell do you think you’re doing?” my mom asked in a whispered scream, walking out of my bedroom and meeting me on the top landing. “I told you not to see her anymore.”

            “Geez mom, you bout gave me a heart attack,” I say startled, grabbing my chest just above my heart.

            “Answer me.”

            “What?” I ask, never hearing the question. “Why are you in my room?”

            “What were you doing with her?”

            “You don’t really wanna know the answer to that. Why were you in my room?” I asked again, pushing by her to enter my room. I gasp at the sight before me. There were several boxes thrown around and filled to the top with my stuff. MY stuff. The entire room looked vacant, besides my furniture and a few clothes folded neatly on my dresser, next to my hairbrush.

            She packed my room in the middle of the night. The same night I wasn’t even here.

            “What the hell mom? Don’t touch my things.” Walking over to the nearest box, I grab out my laptop and stereo, placing them back where they go. “Getting an early start? We’re not leaving for a week.”

            “Well you weren’t going to do it.”

            “How do you know? You didn’t exactly give me a chance,” I say, irritated that she would go through my things. Of course I had no intention of packing, I had no intention of moving either.

            I moved passed my window, trying to be discreet about glancing at it. I figured she must have locked it since I couldn’t get back inside. It was indeed locked, but there was something else.