EPILOGUE

The shimmering glow of white and silver is the only brightness shared on this gloomy day. The sun was catching the sequins of that familiar white dress and shining on her face in such a way that made it appear that she was just sleeping. That any moment she would pop out of the satiny cushion filled box she laid in, stretching her arms with a big yawn like she was waking up from a much needed rest.

                But she didn’t, and she wouldn’t.

                Two identical coffins lay side by side beneath an oversized tent large enough to cover them both as well as the first few rows of white folding chairs. These two girls fought hard in life, and gave their lives to be together, it seemed only fitting to give them plots side by side. Beautiful flower arrangements had been chosen with care, and placed around with special consideration.  It would have made a gorgeous sight under different circumstances.

                After the priest had finished his words, and passed out the memorial cards that mark this day. O One woman with a tear streaked face stood up and began walking up and down the row of chairs, handing each person a rainbow button with an unforgettable message. She made sure everyone had at least one before taking her seat again next to her husband, who held her close.

Another woman got up and walked between the two coffins. She kissed the palm of her hand and placed them face down on each one in turn. Then pulling out a piece of paper from her pocket that looked as if it had been torn out of a journal, she began, “My daughter, Lisa, was in love with another girl. She was so in love that when her relationship was threatened, when she was going to be torn away from this girl, she decided to give up her own life for her love.  Becky was her love, her reason for living. Neither one felt they could live without the other.

“I know now how wrong I was to try and break up what I didn’t even understand. It may be too late to hold her, to tell her I love her, to be with her. It may be too late for a lot of things, but it is not too late to be understanding. I don’t have to ask if she forgives me in return, for Lisa kept a diary most her life. Most of these entries are talks of her love for Becky, and how she forgives us parents for being so naïve, for trying to push them apart. I should have known that true love could not be broken, and that is what she held for Becky, it was true love.

“I want to read a poem now, one that was written within her journal just days before she passed.

Can you imagine the pain I feel,

When you tell me who I am is not real?

Why can’t you believe me when I say,

That I can’t be without her, not even for a day?

Can you stop and think for a minute

That I can’t live my life without her in it?

Why can’t you support me in the choices I make,

Instead you force your rules, causing me this heartache?

I won’t apologize for the way I am,

Not for you and not for them.

I do not blame you for the way you are,

You don’t know what’s inside my heart.

You won’t know how you make me feel abused,

Not until you have walked a mile in my shoes.

I know I’m not perfect, and I won’t even try

But can you even see the tears that I cry.

There will be a day where you will find

That who I am was never meant to be confined.

You can’t lock me away and hope I break,

I hope you have seen all your mistakes.

But I do not blame you, not for a moment,

I took that leap because my heart was in it.

I couldn’t be without the one I love,

I will follow her even to Heaven up above.

Even though you say our love is wrong,

We know exactly where we belong.

We’ll be welcomed with no question,

Because God’s love is all accepting.”      

                Tears were shed throughout the ceremony and the funeral was just finishing up, family members from far away have come to pay their last respects and to give their condolences. Neighbors and friends have had nothing but touching words to say on such a broken day. After everything was said and done, they were all heading away, back to their lives. Because we know time doesn’t stop at funerals, no matter how much it feels like it does, or how much we wish it were so.

The coffins were being slowly lowered into the ground. And it isn’t long before their graves are filled with the loose earth. There was nothing left to do, all had been said, yet there were still a few sitting on the folding chairs, dabbing at their eyes as they watched the dirt settle.

A hand came to rest upon each gravestone in turn, tracing over the letters that spelled out Lisa Anne Sanchez, and Rebecca Eden Fischer. The words “They Gave Their Lives For Love” was etched into each face. Gasps and sobs could be heard as a single rose was laid upon each stone. A rainbow ribbon tied around each stem was lifted in the breeze, as Tyler backed away, wiping his cheeks.

The parents of Lisa and Becky still sat on the folding chairs, tears falling from their eyes, clinging on to each other as they wept. Their eyes were now wide open and every moment or so the light would catch just right, glistening off the rainbow buttons they wore in support for “Gay-Lesbian Pride”.