CHAPTER SIX

“Why is this happening to us?” I asked, staring up at the empty sky. Morning was quickly approaching.

We ran all the way to Secret’s Bluff after escaping from my house. The first thing we did when we arrived was collapse on the ground, holding our sides from laughter and gasping for air.

            “Wish I knew,” Becky answered gloomily.

Reality started setting in as we lay there together, one hand was behind my head and the other was latched onto Becky’s.

            “We could run away together,” I said, considering this as an option that could possibly keep us together.

            “Where would we go? We have absolutely no money and chances are we’d be picked up by the police before we even made it out of town. That would just make the entire situation worse for us. We’d still be separated.”

            “What’re we going to do then?”

            A few muted moments crept by as we both thought about this. We knew there weren’t many choices. We couldn’t run, and we couldn’t stay, what else was there to do?

“Parents suck.”

            “I know right? Speaking of, the sun’s coming up, I’m sure mine will be headed this way before long to drag me back by the hair,” she said, combing the blades of grass out of her thick hair as she sat up.

            “And my bitch of a mother will be trailing right behind to lock me away. I swear I think she’s trying to control my lesbianism like it’s a wild animal or something,” I let out a deep laugh, picturing my mom with a whip and lunging at me with a chair, trying to keep me at bay.

            The humor wasn’t shared, and I let it quickly die away. Soon we’ll be walking back home, Becky going to hers, and me to mine, where a very irate woman was probably stalking the door awaiting my arrival. I can see her standing on the other side of the peephole, shackles in her hands, rattling them manically and saying, “here Lisa, Lisa, Lisa…” And I’ll knowingly be walking right into her trap.

“I just can’t believe how closed minded they are!” I tried real hard not to cry all night, but I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing down my cheeks. “I can’t be without you.”

Standing up and brushing the dirt from my clothes, I take the few steps to the edge of the cliff. Careful not to get too close, but close enough to gaze directly down at the rocky bed below.

“I know, and I can’t stand the thought that you won’t be there when I need you. And I always need you, Lisa. I can’t live without you,” Becky says, as she comes to stand beside me. One of her arms circles my waist, protectively hold me against her body.

“Can’t live without you,” I catch myself mumbling.

Through watery eyes we stared out over the cliff’s edge, listening to the water lap against the rocks. The sun was just now rising. The light was glistening off the water so bright that it looked like the stars themselves decided it was a great morning to take a swim. Diving beneath the waves to shine through the water rather than on top.

So many nights this summer we have sat here, taking in the beautiful sight, huddled together against the chilling wind. Telling each other stories about how it should be, how it could be, not worried about what’s to come. We never once talked about our future. We never once thought there’d be a time like this that could tear us apart. When you’re truly in love, all you see is the one you know you’re supposed to be with. She’s the only one that I see, she’s the only thought I possess, the only name that escapes my lips. She’s everything to me.