CHAPTER EIGHT

It was about ten in the morning before any of us got out of bed. This is to be expected, considering the late night we had watching movies. Sluggishly, my mom and I moved about in the kitchen, making breakfast, while Tyler is in the other room cleaning up the snack bowls and putting away the blankets and pillows so he can fold the couch bed back in.

Our conversation started on good terms, and I told myself to try and keep it that way.

"We'll just pack a few things into the car tomorrow to take with us, but I'm hiring some movers to bring everything later in the day,” she informs me, as she removes the bacon from the frying pan, laying them on top of a paper towel lined plate.

"And then we're headed to Aunt Jeans? No second thoughts or doubts of any kind?" I asked hopefully.

She sighs, like she hasn’t heard this asked before. "Does this have anything to do with her?"

"It has everything to do with her," I admit.

"Do you not see how wrong it is for two women to be together? It's a sin Lisa," she says, taking a few breaths to calm herself before adding, "There's this school not far from Jeans home... Well I think it'll be good for you, it is an all girl school but..."

"Right, send your lesbian daughter to a school filled with nothing but chics, let’s hope for the best!"

"But they are very strict and intolerant to same sex relationships," she continued, ignoring my comment completely.

"I would really like for you to just accept who I am. This is me, and I'm in love with Becky. I've told you this before," there was no point carrying on about this school that I will never be attending.

"You're 16, you haven't even began to live your life yet," she yelled, angrily throwing the scrambled eggs into one of the large porcelain serving bowls.

"I've lived plenty, and I want to spend the rest of my life with Becky."

"But you just..."

"Mom, please, just forget it, I don't want to fight anymore," I say with the same edge of finality in my voice that I have heard from her many times before.

"I love you, you know that right? I may not get why you do certain things, but it goes both ways. You think I don't understand that, but I do."

Taken aback, I reply,"I love you too, mom.” I really didn’t think she would just let the conversation end there. I guess she thought there was nothing I could do about it, so there was no point. I was happy that she dropped the conversation of course, arguing was the last thing I wanted right now.

It was a quiet breakfast, and I could tell we were on good terms again. The air itself seemed content around us. We all took our time eating the scrambled eggs, fried bacon, and gravy covered biscuits spread out before us.

I would catch Tyler throwing half glances at me then shifting his gaze to mom from time to time. He must have heard bits of the conversation earlier. It seemed he was a little shocked that we could sit at the table eating in peace rather than clawing at each other like we have been the past week. I sent him a swift kick under the table, smacking his shin hard even with my house slippers on. He yelped in pain, almost choking on his full mouth of food. He glared at me and I glared back, and then I stuck my tongue out at him just like we use to do as kids, which only made us both laugh.

Not long after we finished eating, I entered my bedroom to change into some comfortable clothes for the day. I wasn’t sure what to wear, I usually choose my outfits according to the weather or the temperature. I walked over to my window, which was still broken, but the shattered glass had already been swept up. Looking up at the sky, I figured it looked like it might storm later, with the grey clouds rolling in. I decided to choose my nicest pair of jeans with its matching jean jacket, and a simple red shirt to wear beneath.