do you remember (how we used to be)

Nate's POV

"What?" I practically screamed into the phone.

"Chill out," Andrew told me.

"Chill out?! I cannot believe you're making me do this."

"Nate, I've done so many things for you."

Oh he did not just pull out the guilt trip. He knew I couldn't handle that!

I sighed. "How long would she stay again?"

"Just for the summer. She's... well, she's been having some problems."

I stared at the phone. "And it took her parents how long to realize this?"

"Be nice. They decided that a summer away would do her good."

"For them."

I heard him sigh. "Please. Come on. Just for a summer."

"A summer is three months."

"What! Why didn't you tell me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Andrew..."

"Nate..." he imitated.

"You know I can't stand her."

"Believe me, she's dreading this too."

I paced up and down the hallway. "Fine. Fine."

"Thanks, bro," he said thankfully. "Seriously, man. Thank you."

"Yeah, yeah," I grumbled. "So when is she getting here?"

"In a week."

I moaned internally. One week of happiness before hell. "Okay. Bye now."

"Bye."

I hung up and glanced around the apartment. It was peacefully quiet, despite the fact of New York just right outside. I sighed; soon the peace would be disrupted by an irritating and why don't we just say it, bitchy teenage girl. Good times.

I sat down on my bed and wondered what 'problems' her and her family had been having lately. Did they finally realize their daughter was a monster? Did they poison her over dinner?

I grinned. Nothing like fantasising about your worst enemy's downfall. And yes, it might be kind of sad that my worst enemy was an eighteen-year-old girl. But whatever, you've never met Rory.

What I didn't understand was how everyone else adored her.

"Don't what you mean," Jack had said when I complained about her. "She's awesome. She showed me this amazing restaurant the other day-"

And Rachel, "Nate, stop being mean. Rory is a sweetheart."

And Will, "Dude, that crazy bitch is like my new best friend."

And even Nattie, who was freakishly judgemental of people, "Dunno man. Rory is pretty cool."

Completely confusing. Was she just mean around me? And she referred to everyone affectionately, with nicknames even. Rachel was 'Rach', Jack was 'Jackster' (have no idea where that came from), Andrew was 'Drew', Will was 'Willy' (which he hated being called, but for some reason let Rory call him that), Emily was 'Ems' and Nattie was 'Natt.' I was Nate. Sometimes Ruess, depending.

And though I'd probably never, ever admit it to myself, I was sort of jealous.

Rory's POV

"I'm what!?"

Mom and Dad exchanged a look. "Rory, honey, we know you've been having some issues lately-"

I snorted loudly. 'Issues', yeah right. They think they know everything when they had no idea what happened to me. Nor do I, actually.

"Whatever happened to Lizzy?" Mom asked. Her name made me furious and sad at the same time. Lizzy, my ex-best friend. Lizzy, who was always respectable and loyal. Until she wasn't.

I shook my head. "Nothing happened-" *cough* yes it did *cough*- "We just drifted apart."

Or, at least that's one word for it.

And now back to the horrifying (secretly exciting) news they had informed me. I was apparently staying with Nate Ruess for the summer.

The same Nate that I now pretended (and sort of did) to hate with everything in me. The Nate who hated me and wasn't pretending. The Nate that I used to be in love with.

"Why do I have to stay with him!?" I sputtered.

"We think it would be good for you to get away from here for a while," Mom informed me. "So you can overcome some... things."

Here we go again. They think that just because I dyed my hair I have 'issues'. It's not like they found me doing coke or something. I guess I've just been different lately. And yeah, okay, I have a whole new circle of friends who all wear black and I've taken to blaring metal in my room, I get different colors in my hair every week. And then there was that one time... but I didn't do it intentionally. I didn't. So what? At least I'm not doing drugs. But if they keep annoying me I so will, just to spite them. And I do have issues, but none they know of. I don't even know what was wrong with me, so they definitely couldn't.

Unless they found me one day... but no. They couldn't've.

They started telling me about his summer apartment in New York and blah, blah, blah. I simply tuned them out, because even though I didn't want to go, I'd have to go anyways. Stupid parents. But maybe, this would be good. I could get away from everything that had been bothering me. I could escape. And I couldn't deny I wouldn't mind spending a summer with him, alone, just him.

See, I used to be completely in love with Nate. I hadn't even really known him then, but I was obsessed with the Format and, after they had broken up (I had cried - don't judge) fun. The music had helped me through some really tough things and I think, that without them I wouldn't have been okay. Their music was everything to me.

I met Sam and Nate one day and they signed my CD. Nate was quite nice and pleasant and yes, I loved him. I also had fun. sign my CD after Aim and Ignite came out and I shamelessly admit I kept both of those under my pillow. And then it turned out my dad was pals with Andrew Dost and I actually met them. That's when it all went to hell.

I met Nate again. He didn't remember me, which didn't surprise me, but what did was what an ass he was. Don't know why. I suppose he was expecting a whiny teenager and I suppose he didn't even bother to find out what I was like. I don't know about you, but when I get hurt I go defensive. I hurt back. It's reflex and that's the story of how Nate and I got to the amazing hateful relationship we have today.

And now I was going to spend a summer with him.

This should be interesting.

AN

isn't this beautiful? I actully already have almost the whole story written... but please comment and vote and fan! Please.

For me?