Two

It was her fourteenth birthday. Liam was with her, as it was back when they were close.

"Happy birthday, Clarke." He whispered, moving his face closer to hers. She was confused. Was he going to kiss her? As if answering her question, he lightly pressed his lips against her own. It was awkward to say the least, since it was her first kiss. Their virgin lips pressed together, never moving. She pulled back first. He was disappointed.

-

It was a few hours later, still on her birthday. Liam had gone home, so it was just Clarke, her mother, and brother. When the phone rang, Mrs. Stone answered it, pale eyebrows raising when she heard who was calling. Then, the glass she had been holding slipped from her grasp, shattering on the kitchen tile. She, too, sunk to the floor, paying no attention to the shards as she muffled a scream with her hand. Both of her children flocked to her, and she looked up at them with big, teary green eyes. 

"Dad was- he was killed in action."

-

She startled, the alien feeling of someone watching her putting her on edge. Liam stood over her, bracing himself on the doorframe. Clarke straightened her posture.

"Why are you still here? Have you been here the entire time?" He asked, and his voice was deeper than what she remembered. She nodded, avoiding his gaze. "Alex didn't answer any of my texts, so I'm stuck here until my mom gets off work." He gave no reaction, turning around and limping back into his room. Clarke slouched back down and stuck her earbuds in her ears. That short conversation with Liam left her heart pounding, but the loud music playing calmed her down. She scrolled through tumblr aimlessly, not paying attention to the world around her. 

A loud howl broke through the song; she took one earbud out as the door behind her opened. The blue-eyed boy stepped out again, glancing at her as if to ask 'did you hear that?' She carefully stood up and crept behind him as he limped done the hallway. They were about to turn a corner when a boy, looking no older than the two of them, appeared; his white t-shirt was soaked with blood. 

"You okay, man?" Liam hesitantly questioned, and the boy responded by storming over to him and hitting him. Hard.

Only then did Clarke notice the fangs protruding from his gums or how his eyes were completely white, no pupils or irises.

"Hey, stop!" She yelled, trying to distract the thing from Liam. It took one look at her, decided she wasn't worthy of its attention, and shoved her with inhuman strength. Her head hit a wall with a crack that resonated in her brain, and she fell to the floor. She squeezed her eyes shut to blot out the blinding light, but by the time she opened them, Liam and the monster were gone.

His screams were still echoing down the long hospital hallway. She followed the bloody footprints, hoping her ex-best friend wasn't hurt. The trail led to the door to the roof, and Clarke took the steps two at a time, only to be horrified at the scene in front of her: 

The monster was in the middle of pushing Liam over the ledge, while one of the juniors who had driven them there was too far away to help. As Liam disappeared over the wall, the older boy lunged for him; he seemed to have caught him, but not for long. The creature jumped on his back, pulling his arms away from Liam.

That's when the crazy thing happened- Liam slipped, but Scott, the older boy, jerked forward, biting Liam's forearm to prevent him from falling. He screamed in pain, and Clarke let out a god-awful wail. Her body seemed to know what to do when she didn't: as she screeched, her hands slammed outward, sending the monster flying into the sharp metal scaffolding; a long piece of metal pierced him from behind, killing him, even though she was nowhere near enough to be able to push him.

While Scott pulled Liam to safety, her knees gave out, and she stared incredulously at her hands, as if they weren't real. How did she do that? She began hyperventilating, rocking back and forth to cope with what just happened. Eventually, strong arms wrapped around her, carrying her from the roof and gently setting her in the backseat of the powder blue jeep. She heard murmurs, something about knowing where she lived, having her parent's phone number, something like that. Her head hurt too much to care.

A hand lightly brushed stray hairs out of her face. She opened one eye, surprised to see Liam above her. Her head appeared to be resting on his thigh, and he was turned toward the window, staring into the night. She noticed a large bandage covering his arm from wrist to elbow; that must have been from when Scott bit him. His touch was soft on her skin, stroking her fine, sandy blonde hair as if she would break if he applied too much pressure.

Then, the car rolled to a stop, and she was lifted again. The thud of footsteps lulled her into a daydream, and soon, she found herself nestled among the pillows and blankets of her bed. She opened her eyes one last time, seeing the blue-eyed boy who made her heart ache walking towards the door. 

"Liam," Clarke mumbled, still in a delirium. He turned around to look at her. "Are you okay?" She asked; he nodded, smiling sadly. "Don't worry about me," he said. "I'll be fine."

-

If she realized anything that night, it would be that she never stopped caring about him. On the roof of the hospital, seeing that monster hurt Liam had triggered something deep inside of her; it was like her anger and fear gave her an adrenaline rush and let her do... Whatever it was she did.

You've heard of those mothers who lifted cars off of their babies?

Maybe it was something like that.

Word count without authors note: 1006

That was chapter two :)

Just look at how cute Sabrina is in the top gif she's adorable

-haley