Seven

BTW I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LISTENING TO LIFE SUPPORT BY SAM SMITH WHILE U READ THE LAST PART OR THE ENTIRE CHAPTER REALLY OK

As expected, Liam was gone the next morning, but a voicemail from an unknown number was on her phone.

"Hey, Clarke, it's Scott McCall. Liam gave me your number. I just called to tell you that he said you'd come by sometime to go over the Beastiary to find out what you are, because you're obviously not human- okay, Kira, no need to hit me! Sorry if that was rude. Anyway, yeah. Text me or call me back."

She laughed at the interjection and texted him to confirm:

Hey, it's Clarke. When are you busy? I'm free all day today.

Sent 10:16am

He responded a few minutes later:

Can you get to the animal clinic in about an hour?

Sent 10:21am

She typed back a text of confirmation:

Sure :) see you there

Sent 10:22am

-

Her brother volunteered to drive her, under the impression that she was there to get a job. When they pulled up to the clinic, Alex looked at her with an unreadable expression.

"My baby sister is getting a job! You're so mature, oh my god." He laughed, pulling her into an awkward side-hug and rubbing his fist against the top of her head. Her face scrunched up in annoyance as she struggled to get out of his embrace. "You're not even three years older than me, asshole. I'll text you if I need a ride." She told him, exiting the pickup. A bell rang when she opened the clinic door; Scott came out of the back room, grinning at her. She followed him back into the exam room, and was surprised to see Liam there, along with the dark skinned man. 

"Hello, Clarke." He said. "My name is Alan Deaton. I don't think I've ever properly introduced myself." He stuck his hand out and they shook. 

"So, we know your eyes turn green, and you healed from that thermo-cut wire, right? Definitely not a werewolf." Scott announced to the three others. Deaton nodded. "I'm afraid we won't know what you are until you fully shift, and that only happens for the first time when you're either very angry or in pain. In some cases, you shift in fear, also." He explained, motioning for her to sit on the metal exam table. She hopped up with ease, unlike the last time she was there.

"I'm willing to do whatever it takes to find out what I am." She stated confidently. The older man smiled. "Good. So, let's start with anger first. What makes you really angry?"

She opened her mouth to reply, but Liam beat her to it: "Brett Talbot." Everyone in the room chuckled lightly. "Oh, that werewolf boy who had wolfsbane poisoning?" The vet asked. Clarke was stunned. Brett? A werewolf? Well, that explained why he was such a dick to her.

"What does he do that makes you mad?" Scott questioned; just thinking about Brett made her blood boil. It wasn't just that he had beaten Liam up and had been an overall asshole: he had taken advantage of her. She was only in eighth grade when he was a sophomore. He didn't try to force her into anything, thank god, but he exploited the fact that she was so young.

A sharp pain in her thighs brought her out of her thoughts. Her eyes burned, and when she looked down, she had grown talons that punctured the soft skin of her upper thighs, blood pooling and dripping a few inches below the hem of her shorts. She gasped, pulling her hands away from her legs.