Eight

Waking up to him poking her cheek wasn't exactly the best way to start a Monday morning, but she'd manage. 

"Clarke," Liam sang, jabbing her face with his pointer finger again. "Poke me again  and I'll bite it off." She hissed, still sleepy, and he chuckled. "Ooh, kinky." She hit him with a pillow.

-

All eyes were on them as they walked into school, hand-in-hand. It wasn't that she wanted to hold his hand (not that she didn't, though); he just wouldn't let go. She knew why: fear radiated off of him in waves, and she could feel it.

Mason came up to them with a skeptical look in his eyes. "When did this happen?" He asked, grinning at the pair. She shrugged, Liam answering for her. "Last night." The dark-skinned boy chuckled, slapping his best friend on the back. "I see you finally got the guts to tell her, huh?" He said, but his words fell upon deaf ears. The beta stared at a point in the distance, paralyzed in terror, although there was nothing there. Using their tie, she slipped her sight into his to see what he did: one of the bone creatures, which he had called a Beserker. She sent Mason a smile and a wave as she pulled Liam away. 

"Hey," she said lowly, knowing he'd hear her. "There's nothing there. You're okay, Liam. You're safe." His gaze broke from the empty spot and he turned to her with wide eyes. "Did- did you see it too?" He whispered. She nodded, guiding him into an empty classroom. 

"I saw what you saw, but it's not real. It can't hurt you, okay?" Clarke told him; he finally shook off the fear and drew her into a hug. His lips pressed gently to her forehead as he rocked them back and forth slowly. "Thank you," he murmured into her skin. She wrapped her arms tighter around his torso. "You know I'd never let anything happen to you, right?" She asked, pulling away to look at him. 

He smiled softly in response, letting her step back, but not before he tugged her in for a kiss. Their mouths moved softly together; when he moved back, he rested his forehead against hers. (Lejla here it is) She smiled slightly, eyes half shut, when her nose began to tickle. Suddenly, a sneeze erupted from her, and her forehead crashed into his. They both stumbled backwards, and Clarke thought that she had screwed up majorly. Who sneezes on their kinda-boyfriend and doesn't want to die inside?

The blonde knew she was in for it, at least until he started to laugh. Like, full on, guffaw. "That was probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. You literally sounded like a kitten." He said, once he'd calmed down  

Rolling her eyes, she took his hand again, and together they made their way to class.

-

Will you be my date to the lacrosse bonfire?

Sent 3:01pm.

She smiled at Liam's text, typing a 'yes' in reply as she unlocked her front door. Her brother was at some club meeting and her mother was working the late shift, so for the time being, Clarke was home alone. After dumping her bag on the kitchen counter, she ran upstairs, prepared to take a shower before the bonfire. She walked past her bedroom to the bathroom, stopping when she saw something crimson on her bed that contrasted against her sheets. It was one of Liam's practice jerseys with a note attached:

So all the drunk guys know you're taken :)

She squealed loudly at the words written in his sloppy handwriting and shamelessly danced around her room. When she had somewhat composed herself, she took a picture of the jersey and the note, sending it to him. 

[picture file attached]

Cheesy little shit

Sent 3:06pm

-

By the time Liam came to pick her up, Alex had already left for the bonfire. The beta looked Clarke up and down, grinning at the sight of her in his jersey. He threw an arm around her shoulders. "You're so cute," he said to himself. She giggled, and her cheeks warmed. They walked to Scott's car that sat idling in her driveway and piled into the backseat. 

"Hey, Clarke." Scott greeted; she waved, hoping her blush wasn't too noticeable. The older boy glanced at them in the rear view mirror. "No getting drunk, no hooking up, no drugs. Just be careful, okay? You guys are too young to be doing that." He told them in a parental voice. She rolled her eyes at his restrictions. It's not like she was planning on doing that, anyway.

Clarke saw the huge cyclone-shaped fire in the distance as they parked. When they got out of the car, Liam latched into her hand and gripped it tightly. She could tell the loud thumping music was starting to affect his hypersensitive ears; honestly, she couldn't stand party music.

He saw that she noticed his discomfort, so he squeezed her hand and have her a reassuring smile. "I'm fine. Don't worry." He said, but it did nothing for her. Every time her heart beat, it sent a wave of concern through her.

Liam pulled her into the crowd of lacrosse players and students alike, a grin taking over his features. "C'mon!" He yelled, drawing out the syllables. "Let's dance!"

Mason had joined them, three beers in his hand. He gave one each to Clarke and Liam, saving the last for himself. The blue-eyed boy tugged her close to him; they pressed together until there was no space (for the Holy Spirit) between them and swayed to the music, occasionally taking a swig of the bitter alcohol. 

Eventually, the throbbing bass in the music began to give her a headache, and she suddenly felt overly intoxicated, even though she hadn't had more than a few sips of beer. She shouted to Liam that she was going to get some air, but before she could get far, he was behind her, following her. They sat on a log together, a ways away from the thick crowd, with her head on his shoulder as they both tried to ignore the sick feeling. Soon, the music got even louder, and he was on the ground, writhing in pain. There was an immense pressure behind her eyes; she quickly joined him, curled into a ball and holding her head.

Hands yanked Clarke and Liam roughly to their feet, although they still doubled over in pain. They were dragged towards the school, and she faintly heard Mason protesting in the background. She found herself on the tiled floor of Beacon Hills High School with Liam, no longer in pain. Two men stood above them, each holding a red carton; the sharp scent of gasoline filled her nose, and she was abruptly aware of a slick liquid covering every inch of her skin and soaking into her clothes.

Scott and Malia were in a heap next to her. One of the men held a match that he flicked into the pool of gasoline that the teenagers were all in. The flames licked Clarke first; as she screamed in agony, time slowed down and her hand trusted out towards the man. Suddenly, his neck snapped at a 90 degree angle to the side from a wave of energy that originated from her outstretched palm, and he collapsed. She moved her hand towards the other man, and he too fell, dead.

She screamed, the flames dying under the force of her wail. Her bones gave out and she hit the tile. Scott knelt in front of her, holding her head as he watched the burns on her skin heal. Once Liam saw she wasn't too badly harmed, he hugged her weak body to him. She managed to look up at him.

"Are you okay?" She hoarsely whispered, and he laughed humorlessly. "You're asking me if I'm okay?" There were tears in his eyes. They were both covered in gas, but it didn't matter when he pressed his lips to hers. The kiss lasted only a second before he pulled back, not wanting to hurt her. "Let's get you home, okay?" He murmured, helping her to her feet. Clarke stumbled while they walked, so he scooped her up into his arms. She nuzzled against his shirt, ignoring the smell of gasoline. She was tired. So tired. Her eyes drifted shut, and soon she was fast asleep. 

Word count without authors note: 1280

DOUBLE UPDATE BC IM BABYSITTING AND THE KID IS IN THE SHOWER AND ALSO BC I HAD TO

This chapter is legitimately so badly written lol 

That bumps Clarke's kill list up to 3 oops

CLIAM is so cute gtg (btw the sneeze was just added in like two seconds ago bc #lejley decide It would be most appropriate)

-hales