Nine

She woke up to an arm thrown over her waist; she recognized the tattered thread bracelet on the person's wrist: it was Liam. She turned around in his grip, facing him. His eyes were closed, and his breathing was deep and even, meaning he was asleep. The girl buried her head into his warm chest, attempting to get comfortable again.

He then started to talk in his sleep. At first, it was just mumbles, too quiet to be heard, but it gradually got louder to the point where he was almost screaming.

"Please, you're hurting her! Stop! Clarke!" He yelled, thrashing around as tears spilled down his cheeks. She shook him to try to snap him out of his nightmare. Nothing worked- shaking him, calling his name- until she remembered something Scott had said: pain makes us human. She flicked out her talons, looking at Liam with a frown before whispering, "I'm sorry," and digging them into his bicep.

He suddenly sat straight up, his chest hitting Clarke's as she sat on top of him to get more leverage. His eyes were a fiery yellow, but she wasn't scared; he wouldn't hurt her. It took her soothing hands running over his shoulders to calm him down completely. His eyes focused on her when they were back to their natural blue color, and he threw his around her small frame, relieved that it was just a dream and she wasn't being tortured. She hugged him in return, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Thank you." He murmured into her neck. His warm breath tickled her skin, and she pulled away from him. The fragile look in his eyes reminded her of a puppy during a thunderstorm. 

She gently pressed her lips to his forehead, hearing a sigh escape him as he tightened his grip on her. "I think you missed a spot," He jokingly said after she had kissed his nose, cheeks and eyelids, referring to his lips. He cracked a grin when she rolled her eyes. 

"Are you okay, though?" Asked the blonde, eyebrows drawing together in concern. He huffed, and let his head fall onto her shoulder. "Not really," he murmured. "I'm worried about you, I'm worried about me, I'm worried that the Beserkers are going to come back and kill me, I'm worried that Brett is going to kick my ass tonight. I'm just worried." He said all of this without looking at her. She grabbed his chin in her hand and forced him to meet her gaze, green eyes burning fiercely. 

"You're gonna be okay. We're both gonna be okay, alright?" She declared, sure of herself, and lightly kissed him, this time on the lips. His eyes closed involuntarily; when she pulled away, he followed her face slightly, lips still puckered. "Yeah, I'm definitely going to be fine." He whispered, causing her to grin. 

-

That evening, Clarke sat on the freezing bleachers with Mason. She wore Liam's practice jersey under the zip-up jacket that had his name printed on the back; the clothes smelled like him. 

The game was going well for the Beacon Hills team, until Liam suddenly froze up on the field. His eyes were wide in fear, and everyone was screaming at him to move, but he wasn't paying attention- he was too focused on the Beserker he saw. She swore under her breath before climbing down the stands and running to the side of the field. 

"Liam," she whispered, knowing his werewolf senses would pick up her words. "Liam, listen to me. Focus on my voice. There's nothing there. You're okay, you're safe. Nothing's going to  hurt you/" well, nothing except the Devenford player who barreled into him, knocking him to the ground. When she saw the number 28 on the back of the green jersey, she seethed. Brett. 

The taller boy ripped off his helmet like Liam had, and suddenly, a fight broke out between the two. Fists were flying, and the two coaches broke it up, benching both players, although neither went to their bench- they each walked towards the home locker room with unspoken intent.

Clarke followed them, watching as Liam shoved the other werewolf into the wall, and she heard a slight crack. Brett slid down the wall, but he just got back up, punching him again and again. The worst part was that Liam didn't even fight back; he just took the hits.

"I swear to god, Brett, don't touch him!" She yelled, stepping in between the two. Her ex growled, tossing her aside like she was a rag doll. Liam's inner animal broke out, and he finally fought back, slashing Brett across the chest with his claws until his rival was on the floor, barely defending himself. She managed to get back on her feet. She grabbed Liam's wrist, feeling her eyes glow bright; she laid her free hand on his chest as she made him look at her. Words passed in between the two without being said, and the werewolf on the floor chuckled.

"So she's your anchor, Dunbar? I never knew the bitch would be good for something." He spat. Before Liam could attack, she kneed Brett in the face and threw him flat on his back, positioning her foot over his windpipe. She gave a sickly sweet, malicious smile. "If you say one more word about me like that, ever again, I won't have him kill you. I'll rip out your throat myself." She told him, dusting off her hands. She walked towards the door as he said, "You can't do shit. You're human!" She turned around, smile gone, and drew out her talons and fangs, making her eyes glow. 

"I beg to differ, actually."

-

The two freshmen left the locker room, Liam without a scratch on him but still covered in blood. Stiles intercepted them before anyone could see them, looking them up and down.

"What the hell happened in there?" He exclaimed. Clarke answered, reaching for Liam's hand as she did so: "Brett and this idiot got into a fight. I think we're just gonna go home. It's been a long night." She turned to go, but the junior held her back. "Fine. Im gonna pick you guys up tomorrow, though. We're gonna go save Scott."

She nodded and walked home with Liam. 

-

They stopped at her house so she could change and leave a note to her mother and brother:

Staying at Liam's tonight. Might not be home until late tomorrow. Love you.

-C

The mentioned boy had gone ahead of her; she let herself into his house, knowing both of his parents were at work, and made her way up to his bedroom. She knocked on his door and called out to him. 

"Liam?" She should. The shower was on, and, assuming he was in there, she crawled under his covers, making herself at home. She scrolled aimlessly through Twitter while she waited for him to be finished. 

A few minutes later, the water shut off and he walked out of the bathroom, clad only in gray sweatpants. He rubbed a towel over his dripping brown hair, bicep flexing as he did so.

Her eyes were stuck on his torso, shamelessly staring. He smirked at her and chuckled. "Like what you see?" He teased. She threw a pillow at him, rolling her eyes; she moved over on the bed to give him space to get in. He pulled her into him and she rested her chin on his chest, looking at his face with a grin. Her hand was over his heart, and she noticed its speedy rate.

"What's got your heart beating so fast?" She asked, drumming her fingers against his bare skin. He smiled at her, admiration apparent in his blue eyes. "You." He simply stated. Now her heart was beginning to race. Her cheeks flushed as she buried her face in his chest. "Why?" She questioned.

"Because I love you."

"You're an idiot, Liam."

Word count without authors note: 1314

I rlly love this story omfg

Only like 2 more chapters left in this !!! Don't worry, there will be a sequel

-hales

(Ps: the gif at the top is making me cry)