Four

Liam was quiet, almost sullen, the next day at school. He didn't say anything to Clarke in their three shared classes, and she thought she knew why: the lacrosse team had a scrimmage against Devenford Prep, Beacon Hills High's rival and home to Clarke's ex-boyfriend, Brett.

Liam appeared on Clarke's roof, soaking wet from the rain, begging for her to open her window and let him in. Of course, she ushered him into her bedroom, but when she turned on the lights, whatever words she had been going to say were lost.

His right eye was swollen shut, a massive bruise was forming on his cheekbone, and his bottom lip was split and bloody.

"Who did this to you?" She gasped. She brought a hand up to touch his face; he winced when her fingers brushed over his skin, so she drew back. He huffed. "Ask your asshole ex. Maybe he knows." 

"Brett did this?" She was stunned. Sure, she'd broken up with him, but it had been somewhat neutral, nothing to be this vengeful about. Her best friend shook his head.

"Sort of." He mumbled, not looking her in the eye. "He was saying stuff to his friends about how you were a tease, and I just got angry. I might have hit him first. I'm sorry" She sighed, knowing that his anger issues were always brought out in her defense. "It's okay, Liam."

Clarke walked past the Devenford travel bus, gazing at her feet as to not catch the eye of any of the rich dickheads, when Liam's voice reached her ears. 

"Brett!" The beta shouted, and she saw him standing in front of the boy who had at least a foot on him as if they were on equal ground. She heard him say something about having a good game (which surprised her, since he wouldn't normally be so civil), and her ex retorted in an awful insult. Running up to Liam, she could tell he was about to blow, and she saw the blood that pooled in between his fingers and dripped onto the concrete. Claws, she thought. She unclenched his fist and fit her hand into his, not worrying about the blood for the time being.

Brett's eyes roamed up and down her body, lingering on her legs and chest for longer than she would have appreciated. The boy next to her squeezed her hand.

"Clarke," said Brett, and he gave a little whistle under his breath. "You've... Matured since the last time I saw you. And I see you finally got with Dunbar, although you could obviously do better." His voice was low, sending a sick feeling to her gut. She glared, rolling her eyes and walking away when she felt a hand slap her ass. She could handle mean words, but when he did that, she lost it.

Spinning around, she punched the tall boy in the throat; he stumbled backwards, coughing, and crashed into the bus.

Her satisfaction didn't last long, though, because Liam's breathing was becoming heavy, and as they walked towards the school, she could see his eyes start to turn golden yellow. She broke into a sprint with him in tow, reaching the boys' locker room. She dragged him towards the showers, turning one on as he wolfed out. Partially using her adrenaline, she shoved him under the stream of icy water with her forearm held at his throat. 

Her voice was calm but authoritative while she tried to get him to cool down. "Liam," she said, forcing him to meet her gaze. His eyes widened, and he suddenly he was back to human form. She shut off the water as he slumped against the tile, soaking wet. They didn't speak for a few moments.

"Your- your eyes turned green when you said my name. Like, neon, electric green." He broke the silence. "I don't know how you did that, but whatever it was, it was freaking cool. And nice punch, by the way." They both laughed, turning towards the door as Scott and Stiles entered. The alpha looked between the freshmen, who were both dripping wet, and sighed.