Chapter 26* The Secret

“There is only one method to destroy the Gods,” Gemini began in ominous tones, “but at a heavy price.”

The two humans were silent. When it seemed that they were not going to be intimidated, he gave up on trying to scare them and his own failing sepulchral tones. “The Secret lies in Zeus. As he is King of the Gods, all Gods and Goddesses whether born before or after him, have a piece of themselves tied to him. A bond, you may call it. And this bond, when completely and utterly destroyed, will send the Gods into Tartarus where they may never return.”

“May?” Zoey repeated. “May?

“Yes, may. There is no guarantee, but-”

“It’s our best shot,” Sam said, blinking bloodshot eyes. Gemini nodded approvingly.

“Will you be destroyed, then?” Zoey asked, not sounding particularly sorry. A scowl came upon his face, and he cuffed her around the head. “No, you idiot. And neither will your friends Apollo and Atermis. They have changed sides and no longer belong to Zeus.”

“Then couldn’t all the Gods change sides to save themselves?”

“No, they couldn’t. Because they have to mean it. No maliciousness, no evil intentions even in their subconscious. It’s the workings of an ancient spell that will derive everything, even the finest of details. Don’t doubt it.”

“So we have to destroy Zeus?” Zoey asked, sounding a little cowed.

“Yes,” he said flatly. And then- “Would you two like a wash? You stink.” Without waiting for their reply, he tapped them both on the shoulder, and their grimy clothes disappeared and were replaced by fresh tunics. Zoey’s matted hair that had fallen out of its braid was magically cleaned of dirt and smoothed out, and then neatly braided back together.

“Thanks,” they said grudgingly. Gemini shrugged.

“Back to the question,” Sam said. “How do we destroy Zeus?”

“Simple.” Gemini’s eyes were glinting. “You destroy Mount Olympus.”

A little while later I tell myself I have to get up. I give myself a simple series of instructions to follow while I get my bearings. Get up, Kayla. Walk to that tree. Look around for landmarks.

It is relatively easy to navigate, once I get my orientation. I don’t have a destination, so I just trump through the trees, but I keep track of where I’m going just in case. The trees are ghostly watchers, with an eerie, alive watchfulness that scare the bejesus out of me. I can only smell earth and nature, a spicy yet peaceful scent. My bare feet break twigs and crunch leaves.

There is no one around me, no one to call for help. Where do I go?

Wait. Jamie and Coral said I have to go back, and that the answer was within me. I had to know it somewhere. Stopping in my tracks, I think for a while. If what brought me down here was my soul being stolen by Ariadne, or taken over in the same sense, then…

To go back, I will have to get it back.

It is a little creepy realizing that I don’t have my soul right now, but I take comfort in the knowledge that I will have it back soon. Opening my senses, I am nearly overwhelmed by the number of souls reaching out towards me. The air is thick with them. They are like little pinpricks of light floating around in the mist, waiting and waiting for an opportunity to return to the world of the living.

I expand my mind further, wincing when a couple of the nearest souls tried to latch themselves upon me. It takes little strength to fight them off, but it goes without saying what would happen if all of them came on me like a tidal wave at once.