Chapter 11* Ride from Pegasi

Soft grass shivers in the wind as Sam and I stand in the middle of the field. Usually, I would’ve been overcome with the beauty of the whole thing, seeing as it was so breathtaking, but this time, what took my breath away was entirely different.

We are in a field of Pegasi. I’d gone through a Greek myth phase, so I thought I knew all about them. Just flying horses, right? Wrong.

They are tall, like really tall. Two heads taller than Sam. The one closest to me is brown with a star in the middle of his forehead, and he has a beautiful set of creamy white wings tucked neatly at his side.

“Wow,” Sam breathes.

“Wow indeed,” I murmur.

I take a step closer to the brown one. He looks up, snorts, and skitters back, glaring at me with suspicious eyes. Oops.

“There, there,” I coax, not moving and staring at the ground instead of maintaining eye contact. “I’m Kayla.” Not like he could understand me, but still.

The horse whinnies and goes back to grazing. Taking it as an encouraging sign, I take another step closer, and another, until I am finally just inches from him. Carefully, on the alert, I stroke his soft mane. The horse whinnies again, rubbing his head against my hand affectionately.

I look back and realize Sam is staring at me. I can’t help but make a remark.

“Enjoying the view?”

“Of what?” he asks, puzzled.

“My edible ass.”

Rolling his eyes, Sam shakes his head. “It’s amazing how fast they like you.”

“Thanks,” I say, turning my attention back to the horse. It is now staring at me with intelligent eyes, seeming as though it is trying to tell me something.

Its wings flap a bit, agitated. It takes a step closer, and walks past me, stopping when I am beside it. The wings flap again.

“What?” I say, biting my lip. “You want me to sit on you?”

The horse gives a snort, as if it is offended that I took this long to figure it out. When I don’t make a move, it stamps its foot. Hard.

“Okay, okay!” I grab a fistful of mane, and swing myself up clumsily. “Shit,” I swear, as the horse- or Pegasus, I really should stop calling it a horse- unfolds its wings.

“Sam!” I yell, panicking.

“Hold on, Kayla!” he shouts back, just as the Pegasus takes off. I let loose a scream. As I look down I see Sam swinging himself onto a black Pegasus and taking off after me. Meanwhile, it is all I can do not to fall off. Every time the wings of the Pegasus flapped, we would drop, and I would scream.

“Sam!” I shriek, my voice lost in the clouds. “Sam!”

“Right here!” he is shouting back.

“Do you think they’re bringing us to their boss or somethi- ahhh!” My Pegasus dropped dangerously low and I flatten myself on its mane, screaming my head off.

“Oklahoma City!” I hear Sam shouting. “Take us to Oklahoma City!”

“Why are you telling it that?” I screech to Sam. I can totally imagine him shrugging.

“For what it’s worth!” he shouts back. Then I look back and he is lost in the clouds.

“Horsey,” I say nervously. “Don’t you bring us to your bossy and get us killed, okay? Good horsey,” I stroke its mane. “Good horsey.”