Chapter 20* The Scarlet Berry

We are very quickly up and about, because Zoey says it is dangerous to be hanging around. We still need to devise a plan to talk to Gemini without getting eaten, and talk like civilized people, or gods, whatever. We’re going to attempt to capture him because Zoey says so. Even though I think it is the dumbest idea I have ever, ever heard.

I don’t say anything, though. I want to observe her, see what she does. She keeps watching me like she knows I’m watching her, so I do my best to pretend I’m not. But then again it’s kind of hard to control my anger when she kisses Sam with her eyes wide open, fixed on me.

“Kayla,” she would say. “Fetch that bowl of water?” And I fetched it. And dunked it all over her head. And then Sam pulled me aside and told me to please, please try to get along with Zoey and put aside past grievances to focus on the mission, and all I wanted to say was, “How would you feel if Jeremy was the one here?” But I kept my mouth shut, and didn’t nod or shake my head. I didn’t do anything. I just gave him a look and walked away.

We are currently sitting together ‘devising a plan’. Zoey, as usual, is doing all the talking.

“I know some poison plants around the cave,” she says. “I could mix them together. Nightshade, mushrooms… Enough to kill a human, but only to stun a god.”

“How are you going to sneak it into his food?” I point out.

“That’s the easy part,” she snaps. “First I need to find the plants.”

“We’ll help you,” Sam says immediately, always playing the good guy. When Zoey asked for a bottle of water, Sam started to get up, and then Zoey stopped him, saying that I could get it instead.

I stop. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me,” she says shrilly. “Get it. We’ll need it.”

“No, you get it.” That was it. This bitch was going down. A little bit of high school Kayla was back in the game.

“I’m busy!”

“Doing what?” I demand. “Snogging Sam and making me feel useless? Yeah, I can see how you’re busy with that.” My voice drips sarcasm. “Leave me alone. This is your plan. Get that bottle yourself.”

“Sam.” Zoey turns to Sam with a pout. “She’s being annoying.”

Raking a hand through his hair, Sam throws up his hands. “I’ll get the bottle. Stop fighting.” And he left.

Glaring at Zoey, I return to what I was doing before, which was nothing. She didn’t say a word either, but I could tell she was looking at me. And it sent chills skittering up and down my spine- because I know she is a liar and I don’t know what she is lying for. Obviously the nice girl act back at the resistance was an act, and now I didn’t know who she was. She was a stranger.

Sam comes back with the bottle and then it is time to leave. We pack our things and head for the tunnels. Zoey claims to know roughly where the plants are situated and she leads us there.

The walk there is full of potholes and slimy walls. Utterly disgusting. I try not to slip but once, when I did, Sam caught me around the waist, and even though I shrugged myself out of his embrace I didn’t miss the glare Zoey gave me. Her hand shifts towards her tunic, more jerks than a deliberate movement, and when she turns I catch a silvery glimpse of a sight that chills my blood. A dagger. Zoey was carrying a dagger. It occurred to me then that I might have to watch my back more carefully than I thought.

I keep an eye on her as we progress through the tunnel. I can practically sense the crushing weight of rock bearing down on me from above. Doing my best not to focus on the walls, I creep stealthily after Zoey. Suddenly, without warning, she comes to a stop and bends down and I almost run into her frilly ass.