Chapter 14* The Talk

I am in my room crying when I feel a slight tickle on my forearm. Thinking it was my hair, I lift my head and toss my auburn hair over my shoulder- But my eyes meet a sprite of Atermis. The familiar pale gold body and red lips bring back a rush of memories, such as in the clearing where Demeter tried to kill me, and in Poseidon’s fish room- I am overwhelmed by a fresh round of tears. Unable to hold them in, I bury my head in my hands again, sobbing and sobbing.

It wasn’t Sam’s fault in the least, for kissing Zoey. We’d never been an official couple, and it was his life. He had his own choices to make, and if those choices didn’t include me, then what can I do about it?

It was rather insane, but I want us to be out there fighting with the gods again. Yes, it had been dangerous, and I’d faced a lot of pain and heartbreak, but it doesn’t match up to the pain and heartbreak I have to go through here, cooped up in the resistance. Sam and Zoey. If I have to watch them make out in the corridors and train together and end up lying on the floor kissing, then I swear I’m going to break out.

Let him find me. I don’t care. I’m going back to Nashville and I’m going to die there.

Just as I am pondering the very real possibility of escape, something drops on my arm. Light and dry and fluttery. Opening my eyes, I realize it is a note.

From Atermis. Eyes widening as I unfold the piece of paper, I read its contents, in elegant cursive set in the center.

Best get ready for the storm.

Okay… What storm? Brow furrowed in utter confusion, I turn it around and back again, searching for more clues, but nothing. What storm? How do I get ready? When is it coming?

Giving a frustrated sigh, I crumple it up and toss it over my back. I think it’s time for my long belated nap to clear my pounding headache.

When I wake up, I have lost my bearings completely.

I don’t even know what time it is, I realize, sitting up. The windowless cave stares back at me, mocking me with grey walls. My eyes feel crusted up, my body sore and stiff. I’ve never had such a good rest in such a long time.

Standing up, I stretch like a cat, my bones giving a satisfying pop. Swinging my arms to get my circulation flowing again, I open the door, stepping out into the empty corridor.

The lights are bright but dimming. It must be around dinner time, I suppose. Setting off at a slow amble towards the common dining area, I look around for people but there’s no one.

The entrance to the dining hall is just an arch, and beyond it I can see everyone crowded at tables and eating, hearty laughter sounding out once in a while. A number of people welcome me with big grins as I enter, and I smile back. My eye catches Farah’s and she gives me a wink.

Jeremy waves me over to his table. As I sit down, he assesses me and gives me a grin. “Someone finally managed to sleep a full day, eh?”

“I slept a full day?”

“Yeah,” he replies proudly, as if it was his magnificent doing. “All thanks to me, of course.” Yes, that confirmed as much.

Rolling my eyes, I spear a potato. The light gold skin still covered it, sprinkled with spring onions and other nice-smelling stuff. Breaking it, I popped a piece into my mouth.

“This is awesome,” I declare. “Someone tell the cook.”

Jeremy laughs, and the rest of his friends immediately warm up to me. In my peripheral vision, I catch sight of Sam eating with Zoey alone at a table, eating and chatting with each other warmly. Jealousy builds up in me, I can feel my mood beginning to turn sour, so I tear my gaze away and focus on my food instead.