Prologue: Nine and Three Quarters Years Before

Prologue
***
Nine and Three Quarters Years Before

It was a cold, snowy December morning. Snow was falling thick and fast through the chilly air. On a highway leading to the town of Oakton, a woman was speeding. She was driving 110 miles per hour talking rapidly on the phone. As she sped along in her silver BMW, she absentmindedly glanced in the direction a police car that accommodated officer Frank Hinsely of the town Burris, which closely neighbored Oakton. Officer Hinsely turned on his siren lights and drove off after the woman, who slowed down after a few moments. When she came to a stop, Officer Hinsely didn't scan the license. Standard protocol for anyone driving over 100 mph is to arrest them and revoke their license as soon as possible.

As Officer Hinsely approached the silver BMW, he realized that the woman was still speaking on her cell phone. The expression of utter indignation and bewilderment on Officer Hinsely's face made it clear that he couldn't believe her nerve. To not have the courtesy to hang up when you are about to talk to the man who could arrest you, was, in Officer Hinsely's opinion, highly witless as much as rude. He walked right up to the driver's seat and said, "Roll down your window," in his most authoritative voice. A great gust of snowy air nearly blew his hat off. He placed his hand on his hat to steady it. The woman rolled down her window, but didn't look up. She looked to be in her early twenties. Her blonde hair fell just past her ears. The woman was wearing a silver winter coat with black fastenings. On her feet were knee-high boots. Her car looked unnaturally clean, as though it had never been driven before. Now that the window is down, Officer Hinsely can hear her conversation on the phone, which much to his dismay was still taking place. Her voice was strained, stressed, and impatient.

"— not stupid, of course I remembered to bring it. I'll call you back in a second—I still have more questions. Bye." The woman hung up and began rummaging in her purse without even glancing up at the policeman. Officer Hinsely was now angry at her lack of courtesy.

"Ma'am, are you aware that you were traveling at 55 miles per hour over the speed limit?" Asked Officer Hinsely

She didn't look up as she nonchalantly replied, "Yes."

"I am afraid that I need to see your driver's license."

The woman dug in her bag further and pulled out what appeared to be a large, black checkbook and handed it to the officer. Officer Hinsely opened it and saw, not a driver's license, but a badge and a police license. The badge read 'GGPC' and the police license was unlike anything he's ever seen.

"This," accused Officer Hinsely, "is not a police license. You can now be arrested for identification fraud as well as speeding and using your phone while driving."

The woman looked exasperated. She waved her hand impatiently and snaps, "Of course it's not a police license. It's a GGPC license. I'm supposed to be in Oakton because of what happened."

Officer Hinsely looked confused. "I've never heard of a 'PCG' before and there is nothing wrong with Oakton,"

The woman sighed, "It's 'GGPC' not 'PCG'. It stands for Governmental Global Protection for Civilians. And if you haven't heard about Oakton yet, I suggest you walk back to your car and check your transmitter."

The Officer didn't know to believe her or not. This could be, he though, a plot to lure him away from her car so she could take off. But if she was lying then she couldn't have known about his transmitter in the first place. Against his better judgment, he trudged back to his car and checked his transmitter. Just as she said, it was telling all on-duty and off-duty officers to report to 476 Jansen Road, Oakton, and wait further instructions upon arrival. It had no information on what's wrong, which meant it must be serious. He galumphed back to the silver BMW, handed back her badge and bitterly announced, "I guess you're free to go."