chapter 11

Heels clicked on the tile flooring as a girl walked in the room. Her eyes were puffy from crying but she managed to keep herself looking professional. She took a seat at the table as the others fought. 

"She killed three boys at that school! She needs to be confinement!" One of them shouted. 

"She's learning, Marcus. Can't you see it? She's not as cold as she used too be. She's changing on the earth." Another spoke spoke.

"Are you deaf? Didn't you hear, she killed three boys, she tortured them and she enjoyed it! Until we need her, keep her locked up." Marcus stubbornly said. 

"No, it's better if she's out free. She'll never help us with our plans if we keep her locked up, don't forget mermaids are free spirits, she'd rather break her own pearl than help us if we did that." The other man said evenly. "And don't forget her reasoning, Marcus. Though definitely vicious and sadistic, Amara killed those boys after one of them raped Kiera and didn't even feel bad about it. That shows Amara can care, even if she doesn't quite know how to show it. She also saved Katsumi from that level E and fed Zero Kiryuu her blood when she realized he was deteriorating. She's learning." The other man insisted. 

"But she's still a monster." Another spoke calmly, smoothly. "We can all agree on that. Her heart may not be quite as wicked as it used too be, but she is still capable of evil, she's shown us all that.  She still craves to hurt people. The only question is, is there hope for her?"

"Yes!"

"No!" 

"Jessica? What do you think?" The smooth voice asked the girl who had just walked into the room. The young, saddened witch looked up with an unreadable expression. 

"That mermaid was pure evil when I met her...at least that's what I believed to be true. But after hearing that she saved two children all those years ago, and seeing her now, I don't think she's ever been truly evil, despite my own emotions conflicting with it. I believe ignorance and apathy is the true cause of her evil along with the numbing effect living in the ocean can cause. As much as it pains me to say it, there is hope for that mermaid yet." The girl spoke. 

"What actions should we take then, Jessica?"

"None, leave her be. She's finding her own way at that Academy. For now, it's best we let her figure things out for herself."

***

"Hello, Lysander." The girl cooed from the egde of the boat, smiling softly up at the young sailor. The sailor, a pirate on his father's ship, smiled lovingly down at the girl, but his expression was guarded. He'd known of mermaids and had been told to watch out for them by his father, but this mermaid girl had been visiting him for weeks now and she didn't seem evil in the slightest.

"Hello, Amara." He whispered, reaching out to stroke the side of her face. 

Wait, Amara?

Amara?

I'm Amara.

That's not me!

No wait, maybe it was... What's going on?

I sat straight up in bed, covered in a cold sweat and breathing heavily. Many times my memories were scattered, because I'd lived for so long, and if it hadn't have been for the dream, I may have never remembered this time. It was the eighteenth century, pirates were at large and I was the happiest a mermaid could ever be. Lots of pirates to pick from. I'd grown to have a special liking to a certain pirate named Lysander. 

He'd been the son of a infamous pirate captain on a large ship. I'd instantly wanted his heart the minute I saw him. He was surrounded in darkness yet his heart had been full of light. He was kind and I wanted his heart. More than anything. More than any other heart I'd ever wanted before.