Chapter Three: Uncle Josh

"Your going to have to tell him sooner or later honey, you can only avoid him so long." Maya said lecturing "Besides he'll be here for the party."

Riley sighed. "Yeah.. Yeah I know."
She said flatly as she looked at the ground. "I'll figure it out."

Maya nodded and looked around the room in silence. Riley always knew how to fix a problem, but maya knew that this one wouldn't be as easy as it should be. It never was when it came to feelings and Lucas.

"So Peaches. you want to tell me what's on your mind?" The brunette asked breaking the silence.

"What do you mean?" Maya asked breaking her train of thought and raising an eyebrow at her.

"I mean, what have you been thinking about so much, that you've been so distant lately?" Riley asked looking at her. "Your starting to look like me when I was hiding my feelings for.." She trailed off, her eyes widening.

"Wait. Are you hiding your feelings again?" The brunette asked, her voice cracking slightly as it rose.
"Because Maya I swear..." She started but Maya quickly shut her down.

"This has nothing to go with Lucas." The blonde quickly said looking at her.
"I'm not hiding any feelings for Huckleberry, I told you how I felt and I didn't lie to you. I told you I'd never lie to you again." She said seriously.

Riley's face softened and she calmed down slightly. A slight sense of relief washed over her all of a sudden. But that was quickly replaced by curiosity. "Then what aren't you telling me Maya? Who is he?" She questioned.

Maya opened her mouth to talk, but a knock on Riley's bedroom door interrupted the discussion.

"Hold that thought" Riley said holding up a finger to Maya. "Come in" she called.

The door swung open and in he came. Maya took a breath and bit the inside of her cheek to keep her jaw still. "Of course he had to be here." She thought to herself.

"Uncle Josh!" Riley said happily getting up to hug him.

"Hello niece" the older boy said pulling her into a hug.

"You're here early" Riley said looking at him. "The party doesn't start for a few more hours"

"I know, but I stopped by to help your parents set up" he said winking.

Riley nodded, then looked back at Maya. She was unusually quiet, not even looking up at this point. "That's strange.." She thought to herself. Usually Maya would have become a mess at the mere sight of her uncle, but today it was as if she didn't even know him. The brunette furrowed her brows in confusion.

Josh followed his nieces gaze seeing Maya. He smiled slightly to himself. "Hey Maya" he said walking towards her.

Maya quickly got up and moved away from her seat to stand behind Riley. "Yeah.. Uh hi Josh" she said quickly.

Josh looked at her confused and stopped for a moment. He stared at her for a moment trying to figure out what was going on. He quickly shook the thoughts away, he should be glad that she wasn't jumping all over him anymore.. Shouldn't he? "Oh well.. I'm just gonna go finish helping Cory.. See you both later I guess" he said looking back at Maya once more, before leaving.

"Josh.." Riley said turning to face Maya.

"What?" Maya asked looking at her nervously.

"It's Josh!" Riley said louder. "That's what.. I mean who's been on your mind.. It's Josh!"

Maya quickly put a hand over Riley's mouth. "Riley shh!" Maya hissed nervously.
"I don't like him anymore.. Remember? I'm over him" she said matter of factly, trying to sound convincing.

"Your mouth says one thing, but your eyes say another" Riley said as she swatted Maya's hand away.

The blonde girl said nothing as she took her seat on the bay window, looking at the ground.

"Maya why didn't you tell me?" Riley asked looking at her. "I'm your best friend. What happened to no more secrets?" She asked sitting beside her.

"Because.. I didn't want to admit it and open myself up to the rejection again" Maya said embarrassed, running a hand through her hair.

Riley sat beside her best friend, pulling her into a hug. "Oh peaches" she said softly. "You've gotta tell him Maya, he's not the same person he was a few months ago, and neither are you."

"But what If he shuts me down again, like he always does" Maya said timidly. She didn't want to go through the heartbreak again.

"Then I'll be here to build you back up again" Riley said smiling.

"Thanks Riles." Maya smiled looking up at Her smiling. "But If I tell Josh, you've gotta tell Lucas the truth."

"Will you be there for me, if I fall apart?" Riley asked looking down at her hands, as she twirled them nervously.

"Always." Maya said reassuringly and laid her head on Riley's shoulder.

The next few hours were spent getting ready for the party. Maya and Riley had helped set up, a very interesting process seeing as Maya tried everything to avoid seeing Josh, and we're now in the process of getting ready.

Friends and family had already began to trickle in. The rest of the family was already out there mingling with the other party guests, but the girls had yet to leave the room.

"Ready?" Riley asked looking at Maya as they sat at the bay window, preparing to head out into the party.

"Not even close." The blonde girl said honestly, the brunette nodding in agreement.

Hope your all enjoying the story so far! Next update coming soon, promise!