Chapter Nine: 'Don't go..'

THIRD PERSON | POV

Josh stood on the roof of his brothers apartment complex, leaning against the edge as he looked up at the sky. It was a deep shade of blue, the moon standing out vibrantly in comparison. He let out a frustrated sigh, as he ran a hand through his hair. It was suppose to be a simple party, how had this night managed to get so complicated?

As he stared up at the sky pondering the thought, he was startled by the sudden loud creak of the roof door swinging open. He turned his head slightly, trying to catch a glimpse of whoever had come up here.

"It's probably, Riley, coming to reprimand you." He thought to himself as he looked. Instead of seeing his lovable niece,  his gaze was met by a flash of blonde hair walking towards him.

Maya.

He could feel his pulse quicken slightly. Taking a breath trying to relax himself, as he turned his head back to the sky. Trying to act as though he hadn't noticed her coming.

The young blonde made her way over to where the boy stood, her gaze focused on him. She noticed as he quickly turned his head away, feigning interest with the sky to act like he hadn't seen her.

"Hey" Maya said softly, as she stood beside him, leaning against the railing and looking down at the street below.

Glancing over at her, Josh half smiled looking back up at the sky. "Hey."

The blonde turned her head to the side, so she was looking at him. "Hi" she said timidly.

Josh took a breath, feeling her eyes on him and slowly turned his gaze back to her. "Hi." He responded softly, his eyes locking onto hers for a moment.

The two stayed like that for a moment, neither saying anything for a while.

After some time, Maya's broke eye contact instead directing her attention to the sky. "The sky's beautiful tonight" she mumbled trying to make light conversation, despite the awkward silence.

Not as beautiful as you.

Josh thought to himself looking at her, before directing his gaze at the sky as well. "Yeah, it is." He responded quietly.

After another awkward silence, Josh finally cleared his throat. "So... What are you doing out here?" He asked his attention still focused on the sky, ever so often daring to sneak a peak at her.

As he watched her looking at the sky, he couldn't help himself thinking about how beautiful she looked right now. The moonlight seemed to be shinning down on her, her blonde waves cascading down, as they framed her face.

The girl shrugged slightly, not looking over at him. "Riley, asked me to come check if you were okay." She said quietly.

Not a complete lie, Riley did want someone to check on Josh, Maya just so happened to be the one who volunteered.

"Why didn't she come herself?" He asked looking at her her with a raised eyebrow.

Maya peeled her gaze away from the sky, looking at him. Her lips pressed together, in a line. "Well, she sort of has her hands full at the moment, with that little fight and all that broke out downstairs. You know the one with her boyfriend, and the cowboy. Oh and you too."  She said in all seriousness.