Chapter Ten: 'We're Damned And In Love..'

R I L E Y

I stared at the living room clock, focused on the hands as they moved. I could hear Charlie saying something beside me, but In reality I wasn't really paying any attention to him. I would briefly give a slight nod here and there, a few smiles too, just to make it look like I was paying attention, but the truth  is I had stopped caring a while ago.

Don't get me wrong, Charlie was an a great guy, really sweet too, but he was playing dirty. Using me as a front to mess with Lucas' feelings. He treated me as if I were some prize to be won, and he needed to show it off. The scene he had caused earlier only added to my frustration. Charlie may have been a good guy, but that didn't help my feelings. No matter what Charlie was..

He would never be him.

I sighed softly, scanning my eyes throughout the room, trying to catch a glimpse of Lucas. My search, however unsuccessful, the boy no where in sight. I sighed yet again fiddling with the hem of my dress, in silence.

After what felt like an eternity of feigning interest in whatever it was, Charlie was going off about, something about Lucas being jerk or something, I heard the front door pushed open.  Directing my attention to the door, as did everyone else, I caught glimpse of a familiar blonde haired girl.

Maya.

I had began to smile upon seeing her, but stopped myself noticing something was off. Her face was red, her eyes glassy as though she was holding back tears. I watched as she quickly walked inside, quickly making her way towards the back of the apartment, away from the party and towards the bedrooms. She didn't even seem to notice me, as she hurried along, making no eye contact with anyone as she disappeared through the door way.

I quickly stood up, heading off to follow her, when I felt a hand grab onto mine.

"Were are you going?" I heard Charlie ask, as he held onto my hand.

I felt myself mentally exhale a frustrated sigh, before looking back at him. "I'm just going to check on Maya." I say softly.

"I thought we were talking" he said with a small pout, rubbing his thumb along the back of my hand gently.

No. You talked, and I pretended to listen.

"We we we're, but she's my best friend Charlie.. I need to make sure she's alright" I said pulling my hand out of his rather quickly, trying my best to be as polite as possible. "I'll be right back" I said with a small smile.

His pout, dissolved into a frown as he slumped down into the couch in defeat. "Yeah. Sure whatever" he murmured.

"Don't be like that." I say with a frown.

He shrugged slightly, not looking up at me. I sighed in frustration, turning around and going after Maya. I hated when he acted that way, if he wasn't the center of my attention, he wasn't happy. I walked to my bedroom noticing the closed door and bit my lip slightly. I knocked lightly.

"Just go away." I heard Maya's voice ring out, her tone of voice sounding strange.

I pushed the door open, peering inside the room, as I made my way in. I could see Maya sitting in her usual spot on the BayWindow, leaning again the window as she looked outside.

"You see I would.. But this happens to be my room, and i'm worried about my best friend." I say walking over to her, taking my usual seat beside her. She turned her head in my direction, I could see her eyes glassy, holding back tears.