Chapter Six: 'The Charlie Gardner Of It All'

R I L E Y

I handed my Josh a napkin, leaned against the kitchen counter, looking around at all my friends. Everyone seemed to be at ease and having a good time.

Why can't I feel like that?

I sighed slightly propping my elbow on the counter, and resting my face into my hand. As I stared at the party, I got lost in thought.

"Riley?" I heard a voice call from beside me, pulling me from my thoughts. I blinked once focusing on reality once again. I turned my face to see who was calling my name. It was Charlie.

"Oh hey Charlie" I said softly looking at him. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, a guy can't look for his girlfriend without something being wrong?" He asked chuckling.

Girlfriend.

I cringed slightly, then forced a smile. "You're right, I'm sorry" I said trying to sound as normal as possible.

"I'm going to go pick out a game, might as well make this might a little more interesting." He said with a wink, then kissed my cheek.

I felt my self stiffen. "Alright" I said nodding as he walked away with a smile.

I bit the inside of my cheek, as I watched him walk over to the table of games. Charlie was a nice guy. A little creepy at times, but regardless of the fact he was still a sweet guy. I could see that, but no matter what I didn't find myself feeling much when I was with him.

He wasn't Him.

I sighed to myself, I didn't want to think about him, let alone say his name. Looking at Charlie as he rummaged through the games, I felt a pang of guilt in my chest.

"You only agreed to go out with him because of what happened between Maya and.." My thought was cut off, as I felt someone poke at my side. The sudden action tickling causing me to giggle.

My smile faded as my eyes caught glimpse of who it was.

"Glad to see your still ticklish" the boy said with a smile.

Lucas.

I felt myself take a slight step back, as I looked back at him. "W-what's that suppose to mean?" I heard my voice ask.

"I mean, I wasn't sure if you were the same. You've been acting different lately." He said with a shrug. "Almost as if you were avoiding me." He added looking into my eyes.

I am avoiding you.

Don't you see that?

I made the mistake of accidentally locking eyes with him. I drew in a breath, feeling myself getting lost in his blue eyes.

"I don't know what your talking about. Why would I avoid you?" I asked taking a step closer to him and patting his arm gently. "We're buddies, remember? Always there for one another." I said rambling on.

Lucas looked at my hand, and gently grabbed it stopping me from patting his am. "I'm not a horse Riley, you don't have to pet me." He said looking at me, with a chuckle.