Chapter 2

I was in my room listening to music and writing; two things in this crazy life that actually made sense. For the first time, I was not thinking, well, I was, just not about her, which was a good thing. Thinking of her hurt my brain and gave me heartache. Evie's here with me, laying on my bed as if she owned it; Evie's my best friend, had been since middle school.

She's chubby and stylish, sassy even; pretty and funny, while I on the other hand was all that and more. We're inseparable. God knows how much my mom tried to separate us, a million times probably, but it didn't work. I'd like to think that she and I were soul mates, twins even because we'd think of the same things at the same time, do everything together and go anywhere - sometimes - together.

"Come over here," she said and I had to turn to her. She looked bored. I'm not sure what bored looked like. It's a feeling, that I knew of but do you actually look a certain way when you're bored or? I don't know, whatever.

"Can we just go out?" She asked.

"How about a movie indoors, popcorn, junk food and everything? Here though because there's no way in hell I'm going outside." I turned back to my desk, closed my notebook and the site that I was working on, and then put away my phone, which the song was being played on.

"Trying to bribe me?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Is it working?" I smirked, looking over at her.

She hmphed.

We ended up indoors. We ordered chicken and pepperoni pizza, microwaved a bowl full of popcorn and there was soda and many, many candies; also, we had bowls of fruits, that were for me, not for her since she hated fruits.

Evie did not know my secret, but of course she knew that I still had feelings for Lori. What she did not know though was that Lori and I had been talking. I tilted my head to the side, watching her.

"What?" She asked, her mouth half full with popcorn.

I shrugged, "The pizza aren't going to eat themselves." I said not wanting to spill my secret ... yet.

"Girl, please." She rolled her eyes at me, and then watched the movie, which was Fast 6 featuring Vin Diesel: her favorite actor and whom she was crushing on.

That night, she slept over, Evie I mean and thanks to her, I dodged another night of hearing Lori's "stories." At times it was okay, I guess, but other times I felt like I was her therapist, forced to listen, advised but do nothing.