Chapter Twenty Two

Days pass by in a blur. I spend every moment that I can with Declan, knowing that I won't have him for long. He shows reluctance to leave me as well, whether that's because of his dwindling time or because he wants to protect me, I don't know. Maybe it's both. We do, however, part ways for Wade's Warrior training. During those times, I usually go for a walk through the woods with Cupid and Crescendo. Declan had insisted that I take them with me to protect me, just in case.

Now, as I walk through the trees with Crescendo and Cupid by my side, I can't help but wonder when Theo will strike again and what he'll do. What can he do that he hasn't already done? He's poisoned the gods and killed innocent mortals. He's threatened my life time and time again. He's left threatening messages. He's murdered my divine family and he's killing the only man I have ever truly loved. How much farther is he planning to go to destroy me?

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I reach my destination. I look around at the message burned trees that surround me, feeling my pulse quicken. Not now, Laila, I reprimand myself, he's not here. You need to focus.

Taking a deep breath, I crouch down to get a good look at the ground. Time to see if Lena's theory is correct. I haven't told a soul about Theo's messages. Only Lena and I know. Her tracks stop at the edge of the burned trees and my own tracks are easy enough to identify. That leaves four sets of tracks unidentified; Theo and three of his buddies.

I lean back on my heels. She was right, he's not working alone. I run a hand through my tousled mane of hair. This changes things. Now, not only do I have to kill Theo but I also have to take care of his pals as well.

Sighing, I get up and pat Cupid and Crescendo as I pass by them. My feet shuffle to a stop in front of one particular tree. I lightly trace my fingers over the message burned there. You can run but you can't hide, Thanatos. I shake my head at the words. Who said I was hiding?

I look up, startled, when Cupid and Crescendo growl threateningly. They bear their teeth at something I can't see and take off into the trees, leaving me to wonder what the hell they're after. What on earth got into them?

Confused but not about to leave them out here all alone, I follow the wolves into the woods, hoping that they'd just found a rabbit to munch on instead of something dangerous. I'm following what I hope are Cupid and Crescendo's paw prints when I hear it; voices. Frowning, I creep closer to the sound, wondering who on earth would be all the way out here.

"Where is she now?"

I freeze. I'd know that cold, cruel, vaguely seductive voice anywhere. It's a voice that I wished I'd never have to hear again. It's Theo's voice. That means he's here, in the woods, with me.

"Oh, gods," I whisper, horrified. My hand shakes as I bring it up to cover my mouth. What do I do?

I creep forward a few steps, straining to hear what they're saying.

"She should be entering the forest any minute now for her daily walk," a new, gravely voice replies.

My eyes widen in shock. They're talking about me. How did they know that I take daily walks? Have they been watching me?

"And her Warrior?" Theo asks, sounding pleased.

"Off training with some demigod. His goddess is all alone," a second unknown voice chimes in. A shiver runs down my spine as he utters the word 'alone'.

I shuffle forward a few more steps, aching to know who is working with Theo and what they're planning. I peer around a particularly large tree and have to choke back a gasp when Theo and his three henchmen come into view.

I know these people! my horrified thoughts exclaim. The first one who'd spoken, the one with pitch black hair and jade green eyes, was in my History class. His name is Drake. He's the demigod of Loki, the Norse god of chaos. The second speaker, the one with golden blonde hair that resembles Theo's and stormy grey eyes, is Leon -a boy from my Gods 101 class. If I remember correctly, he's the demigod of Ares, Greek god of war and battle lust. The third one, with the dark hair and sullen green eyes, who hasn't said a word yet is Seth, the demigod of the Egyptian god of the Underworld, Anubis. He took Power Training with me. All of them had seemed to be good people, what changed?

As I continue to look at the trio, something strikes me as odd. That same thing that says that they're not normal demigods screams that I'm in way over my head. They seem so much more powerful than they did the last time I saw them. How is that possible?

They're. . . gods, the hidden goddess within me whispers, as if not believing it herself. Shock resounds within me. Gods? That's not possible! They were demigods, how could they become gods?

I lean back against a tree, weighed down by this new information. Maybe Declan will know what's going on, I attempt to reassure myself. Now is not the time to panic over new information, no matter how inclined I am to do exactly that.

Taking a deep breath to center myself, I lean back around the tree to spy on Theo and the newly-turned gods. They're talking again but it's too quiet for me to hear. Annoyed, I move around the tree and walk a few steps closer to where they stand. As I take my final step, my foot accidentally kicks something big. Frowning, I look down at the object. Horror registers in my mind as I cover my mouth to muffle a terrified scream.

I drop to my knees, hands flitting uselessly over the very large, very dead bodies of two silver wolves. Tears blur my vision as I shake my head frantically in denial. No. Not Crescendo and Cupid. Not them too. 

My eyes catch sight of their slit throats and the scarlet mess that covers them. I have to smother an anguished wail. Through my tears, I see the spirits of my dead companions pad up to me.

"I'm so sorry," I breathe, running my fingers through their ghostly fur one last time. In return, they lick my hands, their eyes saying that it's okay, they don't blame me. No pain marrs their faces, only loyal concern.

In turn, I kiss each of their heads in farewell. "Go to Arawn. Tell him that Theo is here and to get help, okay? I love you," I whisper, then watch the pair of them shoot off into the trees.

When my wolves disappear from my view, I turn and collapse onto their lifeless bodies, mourning. Just before I let out the first sob, I think of all the death that has been brought down on me. When will it end?