Prologue

Have you ever found yourself running through the woods away from your evil ex-boyfriend in the middle of the night? No? You're lucky. It's a terrifying experience.

My legs burn from running, but I don't stop, I can't. I have to keep going or I might as well just kill myself for him. My chest heaves with every ragged breath I drag in. Cold nips at my bare toes, pulling me closer to exhaustion.

Up ahead, I see lights flashing rapidly and the sound out laughter fills my ears. Frantically, I run towards it, praying that I make it. I'm so close!

I burst through the trees into what seems like a trail. The lights I'd seen are strobe lights that rapidly fill your vision with blinding light and then drowns you in utter darkness. From the glimpses I see of my surroundings, the trail is decorated in a horror theme, including blood and spider webs and fake body parts that look all too real. What the-? Then it hits me. This is the haunted trail that Amora was talking about. The Trail of Tormented Souls, I think she called it.

"Oh, hell no!" I half yell, half whimper. Of course I'd end up in a haunted trail! Theo could be hiding anywhere! He's got me playing right into his hands. I'm backed into a corner, how do I get out?

I jog forwards hesitantly, heart filled with terror. I need to get out of here! I need to get help! I wipe tears from my eyes in an attempt to clear my vision. It's useless, I can't see very well no matter what.

Warily, I take note of the four or five dead bodies laying on the ground. Biting my lip, I step carefully around them. I'm almost past them when a hand clasps around my ankle.

"Boo!" the man holding my ankle yells, looking very much like a rotting corpse.

My heart stops in my chest as I let out the most piercing scream I have ever screamed in my entire life. Letting go of my ankle in surprise, the man jumps back. Letting out a terrified sob, I run down the trail.

I stumble over props designed to scare the living hell out of even the toughest of creature. My heart beat thunders in my ears, adding to my panic. My sobs are becoming frantic; crazed.

I sprint through the maze screaming, sobbing and punching when someone jumps out to scare me. Everything hurts; my legs from running, my throat from screaming, my eyes from crying. I'm so blinded by fear that I run right smack into someone with a broad, muscled chest.

Whimpering, I look up into the man's face. More tears leak from my eyes, staining my face with sadness and fear. He holds onto the tops of my arms gently, supporting my weight.

"Laila? Laila, what's wrong?" Declan asks frantically, shaking me a little.

"Th-Theo," I choke out, "He-he wants to k-kill me!"

Declan grabs my chin in his hand and turns my face to the side so that he can see the gash that mars my skin.

"How dare he touch you?" he growls, pulling me into his strong arms.

Shaking with fear, I pull away a little, needing Declan to know what happened.

"Declan, Theo i-is-he-!"

"I know, love. I know," Declan says tersely, tugging me back to him. "I need to get you out of here."

Before I can ask what he's doing, Declan picks me up bridal style. I cling to him as the world around us fades. I get the sensation of falling as this happens. My whimpers fill my ears, causing me to panic again. To reassure me, Declan presses a kiss to my forehead. Before his lips have left my skin, unconsciousness has already claimed me.