Epilogue

"Thanatos."

My Warrior folds me into his embrace, his deliciously muscular arms holding me tenderly, as if I'm something to be treasured. I allow my self to be comforted by the god I know better than I know myself. Centuries together has not dulled the thrill of his touch.

"Arawn," I greet warmly, realizing just how much I'd needed my husband's company. And, until now, I hadn't realized how unsuitable the name Declan was for my god. Any other name besides his own will not do him justice.

"Thanatos, my love, you remember?" he breathes in astonishment.

I smile against his chest and pull away, eager to show him my knowledge of our vast love. Instead of an answer, I give him the greeting we'd used countless times in the past. "Moon of my life," I whisper.

"Stars of my night," he murmurs  back, pressing his forehead against mine. He presses a chaste kiss on my lips and then pulls me back into his arms.

"Come now, love," he murmurs, his arms unconsciously tightening around me. "I'm taking you back to the Underworld. Bel can not hurt you there."

Shocked, I pull away. "What?"

Arawn's green eyes stare down at me in concern. "You can't honestly think that I'd let you stay in the mortal realm where you're vulnerable to an attack by Bel," he scoffs, like I'm being ridiculous.

I frown at my Warrior, not believing my ears. How could he even suggest that we leave when innocent people's lives are on the line -including Amora's.

"We can't just leave, Arawn," I say, my voice rising with a hint of anger. "Amora's still out there somewhere getting tormented by Bel and his goons. We have to save her!"

Arawn sighs. He takes my hand and rests it on his chest, looking down at me like I'm some stubborn child. With his free hand, he brushes a stray lock of hair from my face, just as my mother had done mere minutes before.

"I will rescue your friend and vanquish Bel myself, while you are safe and sound in our home in the Underworld," he says sternly, in a way that demands obedience: a voice he rarely uses with me.

To lessen the hard, cutting edge of his tone, he places a tender kiss to my frowning lips. I lean in and press my forehead into his broad shoulder, soaking up the warmth of his love.

"C'mon, love," he murmurs, tugging me closer.

Take matters into your own hands, the officer's words echo in my mind with urgency, securing me to my cause.

"No," I murmur boldly, pulling my hand out from underneath his. I back away a few steps, already feeling the cold absence of his touch. "I can't go with you, Arawn. I must do this myself."

Arawn looks away, a bitter smile twisting on his lips. When he looks up again, his eyes are void of emotion but I can tell I've wounded him. I never wanted to hurt him and it kills me to do it now but I have to do this. I have to.

"So this is it then, you've made your decision," he says blankly, coldly: a voice he uses to hide his vulnerabilities. It's so hard, but I refrain from running to him and promising to never leave him.

"It is," I say strongly, though, on the inside, I am broken; shattered into a million pieces.

I turn from him then, defying every instinct within me that aches to run into this arms and never let him go. Taking a deep, shaky breath, I let a single tear fall from my eye and remind myself to take one step at a time. I walk with measured steps from the man I have loved for eternity though my heart breaks with every inch of distance.

One step at a time.

                                                                  THE END