Chapter Two

The next time I wake up, I'm alone. I roll over in bed, patting the mattress in search of Declan's warm body. I don't find him. I open my eyes with a frown, disappointed that I didn't wake up in Declan's arms. I sit up slowly, brushing a few dark strands of hair out of my face. A sigh passes my lips as I glance around the room. Something on the nightstand beside the bed catches my eye. I look over to it sharply and pick it up. A note.  On the front of it is 'Thanatos' written in a harsh, yet strangely elegant script. I open it up eagerly, curious to see what's inside.

Good morning, love.

I had some things I had to take care of. I don't know when I'll be back so make yourself comfortable. I retrieved some of your things from the mortal realm. They're in a bag at the foot of the bed. Clothes are in the closet. I'll have food sent up to you when you get hungry. I'll try to hurry back to you, my love.

Αγαπώ, Θεά μου.

-Declan

I smile softly and brush my fingers over Declan's words. Αγαπώ, Θεά μου: I love you, my goddess. The three simple words written in Greek, a language I know only in my heart, send a thrill through me, unlike anything I've ever felt before, and yet, I feel as though my dark god has whispered those words into my ears for centuries.

The goddess within me stirs at the words, closer to the surface than she's ever been before. I ache to be her, to be me again.

I look down at the words again, wishing that I'd heart them from his lips, not read them on paper.  This thought makes me pause. Has Declan ever told me he loves me? My eyebrows furrow. Now that I think about it, I don't think he has. I can't exactly blame him. I'd been dating a sadistic killer at the time. Shaking my head, I set the note down. I'm going to give myself a headache if I keep thinking about this.

I reach up and touch my hair, expecting it to be a greasy mess. Instead I find that it's soft and completely clean. I frown. The last time I showered was a while ago, I should be absolutely repulsive by now.

You're a goddess. Bathing is unnecessary. You will be forever divine.

The words come from the goddess withing me, myself in a way.

Huh. I guess being a goddess won't be that bad after all. I could get use to this.

 Crawling out of bed, I unzip the duffel bag that sits on the floor. Inside is a bunch of my things; books, ipod, a notebook and a pen or two. None of my clothes are in it, though. Thinking of Declan's note, I go over to the closet and open it up. It's absolutely huge and full of clothes as far as the eye can see. On one side, Declan's clothes are hung up neatly and on the other side, women's clothes are hung up. That must be my side, I decide. I sift through the clothes, noting that all of them are white, silky dresses.

I settle on a white floor length, flowy gown that has a sweet heart neckline. It is strapless except for two ribbons attached to the right side of the dress that go down to the back of the dress. A silky white ribbon is wrapped around the waist of the dress to accent my small waist. I tie my hair up off of my bare shoulders and grin. I twirl around in the dress, feeling beautiful and sexy and confident.

I walk around the room and find a record player and a Cd player beside it. In a cabinet beside them, I find a ton of old looking records and Cd's. I scan them and pick out an Enya Cd. I put the Cd in and the room is filled with Enya's beautiful, haunting voice.

For just a moment, I close my eyes and listen. I sway from side to side, wrapped up in the music.

Opening my eyes, I grab one of the romance novels in my bag and walk over to the spiral staircase that I hadn't noticed earlier. Of course, it's hard to notice every detail in a room this big. I climb up the stairs into a small tower. At the top is a small room with a cozy little love seat in it and a lamp beside it on a cute little end table. Blinds cover the two windows on the wall.

I sit on the love seat, sighing in delight at how blissfully comfortable it is. I flick on the white lamp and rub my hand over the fabric that covers the love seat: a creamy white with soft pink roses all over it. Enya's soft music echoes up into the room, creating the perfect atmosphere. With a content smile, I crack open my book and settle in, readying myself to read about other people's trouble in love for once.

I don't know how long I've been in the tower room. I'd set the Cd on replay so I'd never be at an absence of music. I look down at my book, surprised to see that I'd read half of the book already. Time really does fly when you're having fun. I don't think I've gone this long without panicking about something in a long time.

I shift my position on the love seat, resting my elbow on the arm and resting my head on my fist. I turn my attention back to the book, excited to see what the romantic tale has in store for me. A soft rap on the wall draws my attention away from it, though.

I look up to see my warrior leaning casually on the wall. He's in his usual jeans and a black t- shirt, looking as delicious as ever. His strong features are softened by a smile meant only for me.

"I thought I'd find you up here," Declan says fondly.

 I smile and bookmark my book, setting it on the end table.

"Oh?" I ask, patting the spot next to me on the love seat. Declan immediately sits down next to me and places my legs onto his lap.

"I built this tower for you a long time ago," he explains with a smile, "you were always up here reading or listening to music or humming to yourself. It's nice to know that that hasn't changed."

We sit in silence for a long while, lost in our own thoughts. I hold one of his large, calloused hands in both of mine, staring down at it in thought.

Guilt fills me. Declan's been nothing but kind and loving towards me and all I've done is screw up everything by falling for his enemy. What's wrong with me?

"I'm sorry," I burst out, biting my lip.

Declan looks up at me in confusion as if I'd pulled him from some deep thoughts.

"What for?" he asks, bewildered.

I squeeze his hand in mine unconsciously.

"I'm sorry that I've screwed so much up. I'm sorry that I didn't see how evil Theo was and that I didn't see how much better you are than him. I'm so sorry that I can't remember who I was- who I am. I wish  that I could be that girl you know, but I don't know how," I apologize with tears in my eyes. My tone is pleading. I don't want to lose him.

Declan's eyes widen in surprise. He takes my face gently in his hands. I try to look down but he catches my eyes.

"Listen to me! That is not your fault. Do you hear me? We decided that it would be best if you lost your memory when you went into your mortal form, safer for you. It will come back. you don't understand how  much hasn't changed about you and I love that. I love you, Thanatos, and that will never change," Declan's green eyes bore into mine intensely, not giving me a chance to look away.

It takes a moment for his words to fully sink in.

"You-you love me?" I whisper with wide eyes. 

Did he truly say that? Does this godly creature love me?

"Yes, love," Declan says with a broadening grin, "of course I love you."

He pulls me into his arms so that I'm sitting on his lap, cradled in his protective embrace.

"Of course I love you, " he whispers again, arms flexing  around me in the way that I love so much.

"I love you, too, Declan," I whisper fervently, clutching my warrior with need.

My warrior and I stay locked in our loving embrace for a long time. So long, that we fall asleep in each other's arms.