3.

Lilac cried into her father's chest as he carried her into the same hospital in which she was born.

Her arm was supported by a make-shift sling, made from one of her mother's old scarves.

A nurse, by the name of Rose Johnson, approached the family.

"What happened?" She asked, eyes filled with sympathy.

"I was teaching my daughter, Lilac, how to ride a bike. I let go of her waist and she fell off. I'm so stupid." Mark said.

"No, you're not, Mark." Rachael said.

It was then Rose realised that she was talking to the mayor of Gary.

"Your wife is right, sir. It's not your fault. Um, if one of you would like to follow me with your daughter... The other has to stay here and fill out some paperwork."

"I'll stay," said Rachael. "You go, Mark."

"Okay."

Mark followed Rose with Lilac, and another nurse handed Rachael a clipboard with a few papers on it.

As Rachael wrote down her daughter's name, the nurse looked over her shoulder  and saw the familiar name.

"Wait... wasn't your daughter here only last month?"

Rachael nodded, expression grim. "Yes, she was. Something... unexplainable happened to her. She just started crying, and there were all these marks all over her back."

"Oh dear, that's terrible."

Rachael nodded wordlessly and signed her name at the bottom of the paperwork with a flourish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Jacksons entered the hospital differently to the Williams.

Michael was not being carried by his father, as Joseph had refused to. Katherine had carried him from the car to the hospital, but then had to put him down.

None of the brothers could carry him, nor any of his sisters, so he had to walk. Jermaine and Jackie were doing their best to comfort Michael and keep his arm stable. Tito was at home with Marlon.

Rose, the same nurse who had looked after Lilac, approached them.

"Another broken arm? That's the second time tonight. Follow me. Are these your brothers?" Rose asked, talking to Michael.

He simply nodded, face screwed up in pain.

Rose looked up and saw Katherine, Rebbie, LaToya and... Joseph.

Her eyes widened. His eyes widened. He shook his head slightly, indicating for her not to express the fact that him and her were once married and had a child together.

Rose nodded in way that only Joseph could notice, and turned her attention back to Michael.

This was not good...