4.

22 years later...

Lilac sat down at her desk, raking a hand through her brown curls.

Today was her twenty-eighth birthday.

She had just arrived back at her house, after visiting her parents for a while in the morning. She would walk over again later for dinner and a 'surprise', as her mother said.

Lilac sighed slightly in exasperation and rummaged through the little white desk's draws.

She was looking for a letter she received fourteen years ago today. She needed to find it.

She soon found it at the bottom of the last draw. Lilac pulled the letter out of the pink envelope, her hands shaking slightly.

This letter changed her life.

Dear Lilac,

You probably don't remember me, but my name is Rose Johnson. I was the nurse who looked after you when you broke your arm, when you were six.

What I'm about to tell you may sound somewhat insane. You may not believe me. That's okay. When I first heard about this I didn't believe it either. But, Lilac, you have to promise me not to tell anyone about this. Not your mother, not your father, not your  closest friends. Here we go.

After your parents signed you in at the hospital, and you were getting your arm put in a cast, a little boy arrived with his brothers and his parents. He had the exact same injury as you. The bone broke in the same place and everything. When I asked how he broke it, his brother answered for him. "This sounds crazy, miss, but we were just rehearing for our band, and it just snapped!" He clicked his fingers "Just like that!" I froze. This had happened before. But I somehow convinced my mind to think that it was a coincidence, and got back to work.

I'm just going to get to the point, Lilac. You and that boy are connected by your souls. You can feel each other's pain when you are miles apart. For example, if he were to scrape his knee, you would get that same scrape in the exact same place on your knee. But this is not limited to physical pain. Let's say, if you were to get depressed (I'm not saying that that would ever happen) the boy would become depressed as well. However, if he got kicked in the balls, you wouldn't feel that, as you don't have balls. And he won't feel your period cramps. Understand?

I won't tell you who that boy was. You need to find out for yourself. You may be surprised to find out who he is.

And how do I know all this? Simple. This has happened to me and a boy named Joseph Jackson. You don't need to know the details. I met him when I was twenty-eight... Just in case you were wondering.

My best regards,

Rose Johnson

It took Lilac a while to decipher Rose's loopy cursive writing, but once she did, she sat back in her chair shaking.

Fourteen years later, she still doesn't know if she believes it or not. But Rose would have to be sane to be a nurse, right? Don't they do checks on that?

But what Rose was saying did make sense. Lilac had been feeling incredibly lonely ever since she was ten. She didn't know why, she had a large group of friends and a very supportive family. She also had at least half a dozen unexplainable injuries.

Lilac decided to put this all at the back of her mind, and not to think about it until she met this man.

It couldn't be much longer till they met, right?

+

Wasn't my best chapter, but there is quite a lot of ~drama~ coming soon.

- Natalie ❤️