9.

"Three things cannot be long hidden: The sun, the moon, and the truth."

-Buddha

+

Just as Lilac stepped onto the sidewalk, a fancy black Mercedes pulled up in front of her. The door opened, and out came Joseph Jackson.

Lilac looked at the man with a bewildered expression on her face, although her heart was thudding. What in the world was he doing here?

Joseph looked her up and down.

"Good morning." Lilac said politely, before turning to walk away.

"Wait." Came Joseph's gruff voice.

Lilac cursed under her breath and turned around. She had personally felt Joseph's beatings that were only intended for his son, and was completely and utterly terrified of him.

"Yes, sir?"

"Are you Miss Lilac Williams?"

"Yes, indeed I am. And if you don't mind, I really need to be somewhere-"

"Hold it. Is Michael Jackson staying at your house?"

There was no point in pretending that Lilac didn't know who he was.

"Yeah. I believe he is your son."

A smile crept over Joseph's face, sending chills down Lilac's spine. He's not gonna hurt you, she thought. You haven't felt any beatings since you were a teenager.

"So you do know who I am."

"Yes, Mr. Jackson. Your son and I used to play together when we were little."

Suddenly, Joseph scowled and took several steps closer to Lilac.

"You listen to me, little girl. I know you and my son's secret. And I know that you know about mine. And if you tell a living soul, including Michael, it ain't gonna be pretty. Understand?"

"Y-Yes, sir." Lilac stammered, taking a cautious step backward in case she had to run for it.

"And don't let your secret get out either. Especially not to the press. They won't believe it at first, but they'll but more than willing to test it."

"I-" Lilac was interrupted by the sound of screeching brakes. Another black car pulled up in front of her house, but this time it was a sleek limousine. Michael jumped out of it and ran over to his father. He shoved Joseph away from Lilac roughly.

"Joseph, don't you dare go anywhere near her." Michael said rather quietly, his voice trembling.

"Michael... I thought you were coming back at five." Was the only thing Lilac could think to say.

"I came back to get one of my jackets so that I could donate it to the hospital. Of course I didn't expect to find my father here." Although Michael's back was still turned to Lilac, she could hear the scowl in his voice.

Joseph shoved Michael back.

Michael muttered something that sounded like "Not this time..." and punched Joseph right in the nose.

Lilac winced and rubbed her hand. Since when did punching someone other than yourself hurt?

"Shit!" Joseph's hand flew up to his nose, and when he brought it away his nose and upper lip were covered in blood.

"You're not going to ever see Lilac again, Joseph. You know about us, and-"

In a blur, Joseph's hand flew out and struck Michael across the face. Michael yelled a cuss word, while Lilac cried out and fell to her knees.