f i v e

January 1st, 2014 | 1:59am. New year, new diary. I'm sorry for leaving halfway during June. I guess I needed time to realise that you're the only one who'll listen to me.

*

"Thank you so much. All of you." [Name]'s mother was beside herself as [Name]'s friends greeted her the next morning, all the belongings they had collected from her apartment in tow.

"Please, come inside," she said, stepping aside from the font door to let the others in. Naruto and Shisui went in first, both clutching the containers full of [Name]'s clothes, and Hanako followed suit with [Name]'s shoes and curtains. Yuki walked in carrying a bag full of [Name]'s covers and duvets, while Itachi carried a box full of her kitchenware and utensils. She led the troupe to the living room, and indicated for them to place their items on the floor near the door.

"Would any of you like something to drink? Coffee? Tea?" Itachi glanced around [Name]'s living room, noting how the walls were full of family portraits. Namely so, portraits of [Name].

"Ah," said Yuki softly, walking over to the mantelpiece of the fireplace. "This is [Name]?"

[Name]'s mother looked away from her conversation with Hanako and nodded at Yuki with a small smile.

"Yes. Right from when she began high school, to her university days. It's a pity we never got to complete the timeline," said [Name]'s mother sadly, walking over to join Yuki's side. They were both looking at a line of [Name]'s photos on the fireplace, starting from her early years in primary school up until her graduation from university.

"Hmm? What else was there to add to this?" asked Yuki, eyes trailing over [Name]'s face as she watched her go from an innocent six year old to a weathered and worn out graduate.

"Her engagement photo. Her wedding photo. A photo of her with her first born." Yuki looked away from [Name]'s photos, unable to listen on to the sounds of her mother's broken heart.

"Now, drinks, anyone?" Itachi joined Yuki's side in inspecting [Name]'s photographed gradual growth over the years, feeling an empty pit in his belly begin to gnaw away at the rest of himself.

"She was such a happy child," remarked the Uchiha, [Name]'s haunting smiles in all her photos causing a niggling feeling in his stomach. His heart clenched at the sight, and he carefully scrutinised her through the years. He noted that during her university years, she looked more haggard, and her smiles looked more forced. The only genuine smile in all her university photos was the one of her in her graduation gear. Beside him, Yuki sniffled, and went to join Hanako on the couch, leaving Itachi to stand there alone, staring at the photos of [Name].

"Hanako? Can I use the bathroom, please?" Itachi felt stinging in his eyes the longer he observed [Name]'s photos, and needed to wash them right away before he burst into tears in front of everything. It was a weird experience for him- crying just seemed so out of character for the raven haired male.

[Name]'s old best friend rose to her feet, and leading him to the hallway, gave directions.

"Second door on your left," she directed softly, to which the Uchiha gave a small "thank you."

As he hurried down the hallway, wiping at his face, Itachi turned into a room, and instantly felt a mood drop.

He hadn't turned into the bathroom, but rather, into a spare room. An empty room with only a bed, desk and chair in it, Itachi backed out, feeling odd about the room.

"How do I mess up 'second door on your left?'" thought the Uchiha in annoyance to himself, quickly shutting the door as he walked back into the hallway and found the right door that led to the bathroom. He hurried to the basin and turned on the cold water, splashing his face multiple times before looking at his reflection in the adjacent mirror.

He saw [Name]. Smiling sadly at him over his shoulder, wearing her favourite sweater and track pants with her hair up in a messy bun.

Then he blinked, and she was gone.