"She's Acting Fishy." Chapter 22

Ashton's POV

As we left Emily's house and started walking to the beach, I began to think.

She couldn't do anything yesterday because she was sick. But when we showed up at her house, she looked perfectly fine. Medicine can make you better in a day, but she said she was still sick.

She didn't look like it.

When we get to the boardwalk, Calum challenges Michael.

"Bet ya I can get to the ocean first!"

"I don't think so, Hood." Michael replies.

They take off running while me, Bryana and Luke find chairs to sit in.

"Stupid illness," Luke sighs, plopping down in a lawn chair, obviously upset.

"I feel ya buddy. I wanted to hang out with Emily today too." Bryana tells him.

She takes a seat in a chair beside Luke and I sit on the end of it.

I hesitate, but ask anyway.

"Guys, are you sure Emily was sick?"

They both look at me with confused expressions.

"What do you mean?" Luke asks, sitting up.

"Well, you saw her. She didn't show any signs of sickness."

"She did cough," Bryana brings up.

"Yeah but did it actually sound like a cough? Was she paler than normal?"

They were quiet for a moment, letting what I said sink in. Maybe they're realizing it too.

"But why would she lie?" Luke asks.

I shrug. "I'm not sure,"

"I don't know either, but thinking about it now, Emily didn't look that sick." Bryana agrees with a concerned expression.

"Maybe she was sick yesterday, but she definitely wasn't sick today." I say.

Luke was looking at the sand, frowning. I kind of feel bad for the guy. Having his girlfriend lying to him.

But why? Why did she lie? Especially now? Did she forget we know her secret? Surely not.

"She's acting fishy." Luke says then chuckles.

I laugh. "You're so lame."

"Hey, don't be rude," Bryana laughs, playfully pushing me.

I overreact and pretend she pushed me so hard it made me fall onto the sand.

"How dare you!" I gasp.

"I didn't push you that hard." She rolls her eyes.

I laugh and stand back up as I brush the sand off of me.

I lay down on the chair beside Bryana this time. I intertwine my fingers with hers and lay my head against hers.

"Do you wanna go swimming?" I ask.

"I'll grow a tail and there's people around." She tells me.

"There's no people where Mikey and Calum are."

She thinks for a moment. "I don't know..."

"Please?" I ask, dragging out the 'e'.

"Oh fine," She sighs, standing up.

"Yay!" I say like a little kid. "Luke, wanna come?"

He doesn't even look up. "No thanks. I'm gonna stay here."

Bryana and I share a look.

"Come on, Luke. I know you wanna swim with a mermaid." She tells him, grabbing his hand and slightly pulling him.

"Yeah, I do," He mutters. He looks up at us then stands up.

"Yes! Lets go!" I say.

We all run into the ocean with Calum and Michael.

Bryana dives down into the water and comes back up with a tail.

"I'm never getting used to that." I say in awe and Bryana laughs. I smile. Her smile made me smile. I love her so much. I don't know what I would do without her. If something ever happened to her, how would I ever get past it?

Then I remembered Luke and Emily.

I looked over at Luke and he was looking down into the water, not saying a word.

I frowned. I know how he feels, and it's not good. Whatever is up with Emily has to come out. She's going to tell us. I'll make her if I have to.

Short chapter! Buuut I actually know where I'm going with this now! Huge thanks to prettylittlephil for helping me out! Go follow her & read her awesome fanfics!

I know Ash and Bryana aren't together anymore but they're still cute af so I'm not taking her out of the story.

Maybe vote for this too? I'm not that into mermaids anymore like I was when I started this fanfic but I'm determined to finish it! I am working on a Calum fic atm but I don't know when it will be published.

ILY GUYS!