"Where'd She Go?" Chapter 27

Luke's POV

"Do you have any idea of where she is?" Ashton asks.

Emily had been missing since yesterday and no one knows where she could have gone. I dropped her off at her house after we spent the day together but she's not there. Her bed looks like it hadn't even been slept in.

Now, the boys and Bryana were all gathered at my house.

"No. I left her at her house yesterday. How is she not there?" I frustratedly say, pacing back and forth. I run my hands through my hair, stressed out.

"Have you tried texting her?" Michael asks.

"Have I tried texting her?" I mockingly say. "Well no, of course not, Michael. How stupid of me not to think of that."

Michael just stares at me and leans toward Calum. "I think he tried texting her."

"Probably." Calum nods.

"Um," Bryana speaks up. "I have some information," She hesitantly says.

"You know where she is?" I walk over to her.

"No, but I know she didn't stay home after you two went out yesterday."

"Where'd she go?" I ask, confused.

Bryana bites her lip and looks around the room at everyone.

"Okay," she sighs. "I started getting letters. Really weird letters. I don't know who their from but whoever it is knows about me."

"That you're a mermaid?" Ashton asks.

"Yes. Every letter I got, the person made me random stuff. I thought I was the only one getting them, but the last one I got lead me to the beach. The person who wrote it knew about another moon pool here." She explains.

"Moon pool?" Calum asks.

"They turn people into mermaids."

"And what does this have to do with Emily?" I ask.

"When I got there, I saw Emily. The person sending me my letters had been sending her letters too. We talked for a while and then went home. We went in opposite directions but when I last saw her, she was on the boardwalk." Bryana tells us.

"Oh my god," I whisper.

"Why didn't you tell us you were getting letters?" Ashton asks.

"Whoever is writing them made us not say anything. They blackmailed us with our secret."

"What if that person has Emily?" I frantically say. I couldn't even begin to imagine what that person was doing to her. "We have to find her!"

"Where do we start? We don't even know which direction she went in." Michael says.

"We start at the boardwalk." Bryana states.

- Boardwalk -

I run down the sand covered walkway, trying to find any trace of Emily. We have to find her.

As I get closer, I see something in the sand.

There was a spot in the boardwalk where almost all the sand had been kicked around. There were footprints on top of footprints, showing signs of a struggle.

As the others catch up, Ashton calls my name.

"Luke," He says, picking something out of the sand. I grab it out of his hand, wiping the sand off the small item.