Chapter 1

Dan lay staring up at the ceiling in the plain cream room. He had been told that he was going to have a roommate by tonight. The nurse for his room, Jane, had informed him he was too look after the new boy, make him feel welcome, show him around and things. Dan of course, hadn't paid much attention to what nurse Jane had been telling him after the 'you will be having a new roommate' part. It would mean he would have to socialise.

Many questions floated around Dan's head like, what would he look like? Would he have to stay with the new kid all the time?
As he was thinking there was one question that he wasn't sure he wanted to find out. Why was he being sent here?

------------------

Phil's dad pulled out a large bag from the car boot as Phil and his mum walked towards the mental hospital, his mum gently pushing him along in fear Phil would turn around and run. 'The place doesn't look too bad.' Phil thought. There was a wide concrete path through a neatly kept garden, full of bright floral bushes. At the end stood a cream building with many windows (covered by metal bars on the higher floors) and had a large wooden door with glistening glass panels fitted.

Phil looked over at his dad walking behind, him to see a small tear escape his eye. 'This wasn't supposed to happen' he thought, 'I'm better off dead so mum and dad don't have to worry about me. Why do they even care?'
"Hello Philip." A chirpy voice interrupted his thoughts as he looked up to notice they where standing at the reception desk. "You will be in room 27. It's just down that corridor and to the right. You have a roommate your age called Dan, don't be offended if he ignores you though, he does it to everyone." The receptionist was staring at Phil with a wide smile plastered on her face.
Phil sighed, after his parents signed him in and had a long conversation with the overly happy receptionist, he was walking down the corridor to his room. Phil didn't want his parents to start hugging him, crying and trying to help him unpack so they begrudgingly left him at the reception desk.
"This is it," Phil muttered to himself outside room 27 'A psycho as a roommate for six months, sounds great!" He slowly opened the door to step in. He was greeted with a small, dull room with two beds, one of which was occupied by a tall boy who instantly retreated to the corner when Phil came in.
"Hi, I'm Phil you must be Dan." Phil eventually said, his voice much more confident than he had expected.
"Y-yeah..I-I'm Dan. H-hi." The boy stuttered as he stared curiously at Phil. Phil looked over at the boy. He had straight chestnut hair in the same style as himself which matched his sparkling hazel eyes. "Are you going to u-unpack or a-are w-we just going to s-stare at each o-other?" Dan questioned.
"Oh, umm, yeah." Phil could feel his cheeks burning, so quickly turned to the draws opposite the untouched bed. As he unpacked his bag he caught Dan quickly fleeing the room when a lady stepped in.
"So Phillip, are you ok? I'm Jane, the nurse for this room, I see you have met Dan already. I am here to watch over you, any questions?" Jane had the same wide smile plastered on her as the receptionist but only this time, it seemed more genuine. Phil shook his head timidly. "Alright. It's time for dinner now so follow me to the dining hall sweetie!"

The hall was a large room full of tables and cushioned chairs. At the end was a large doorway which he could see led to a lounge sort of area with large windows overlooking another pretty garden.
Jane followed Phil as he queued up and got his plate of chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and peas. "Let's go and sit you down with Dan shall we, it will give you a chance to get to know each other." Before Phil had a chance to ague with her, she was pushing him in the direction of a small wooden table hidden away from the small crowd of other teens. At the table sat Dan who was making faces out of his mashed potato and pees. He seemed to be far away in his own little world and nearly jumped out of his seat when Jane carefully pushed Phil into a chair opposite him.
"Dan," Jane smiled sweetly at the boy, "could you make sure Phil eats his dinner?" She nodded enthusiastically at Dan who wordlessly agreed. 'So that's why she wanted me to sit with Dan. She's told him to spy on me. To make sure I'm eating, not cutting, being a perfect little boy. I'm still not going to eat. I can't eat. I don't deserve food, I'm fat, ugly and worthless.' Phil thought.