Chapter 13

Phil's POV

I'd been at the hospital for exactly a month. A month without contact with the outside world. I missed my family greatly but Quentin said I'd probably be here for at least another month.
I wonder if they are thinking about me? What did they tell my school?
Considering it was around 12am, they probably weren't thinking about me. I'd been laying in bed for three hours listening to Dan's peaceful breathing.

You need to stop obsessing over Dan
He will never even like you as a friend, let alone more
You don't deserve any friends anyway, because you're unlikable
How about you kill yourself Phil
No one would even care
You're pathetic
Worthless
Stupid
Ugly
Fat

That's when I started to cry. I didn't mean too but I couldn't stop the tears from falling down my face. Pulling the covers up over my head, I hid from the world for a bit. It wasn't like I meant to be fat and ugly and I tried everything I could to become slimmer. Nothing worked.
After a while, the floor around my bed creaked slightly before my cover was ripped off of me. Leaning over my bed was a sleepy looking Dan.
"What's up?" Dan stuttered sleepily.
"I-I urr-"
" 't's okay. Wanna go outside?" He said, rubbing his eyes.
"What do you mean by that?"
"You know, like, the outdoors with birds and trees. All that shit. Follow me."
"Was that a question or what?"
"No."

I followed Dan sheepishly down the deserted corridors.
"Someone's gonna see us Dan. The doors will all be locked anyway." Before Dan could even say anything, he pushed open a white plastic door to a large courtyard.
"Where the hell are we?"
"Peace." Dan walked over to the middle of the inclosed garden.
"Come over here and relax Phil." Dan laid back on the cold paving stones and I shortly followed. "Just watch the night for a bit. You'll soon feel better." And Dan was right. We stayed there, undisturbed, just watching the stars shine above our heads. I was the one who broke the silence.
"Dan, how did you know the door would be open? Why haven't security come to get us? Where even are we?"
"Ugh you're so nosey Phillip. Well, I used to come here a lot and security would alway chase me. I don't know why, there's no way to escape from here. Anyway, security would make a big scene and there would be screaming and shouting at me. They got a nurse to take me to my room where they'd question me as to why I left and wasn't asleep. I did it every night until my therapist just told everyone to leave me to it, only watch me through cameras. We're in an unused courtyard. They said people would try and hurt themselves on the granite floor apparently."
"Whoa. I can see why you like it here though, just watching the world go by. It's so peaceful."
"It wasn't peaceful Phil. They shouted and the noise, I couldn't take it. Everything's too loud." With that, Dan began to cry.
"Oh Dan no. I didn't mean to upset you. Can I touch you?"
Slowly Dan sat up and shuffled across the gap between us. I had no idea what he was going to do until moments after he did it.

Dan's POV

Saying I was scared would be an understatement. I was terrified. I slowly leaned over Phil and hugged him. The I lent toward his rough chapped lips. No fireworks and confetti appeared, but the bright starts contrasting with the dark sky made the moment truly magical. I pulled away to stare at Phil's teary eyes.

"Dan?"
"Oh god I-I'm s-sorry Phil. I-I was j-just and then b-but-"
"Dan calm down it's-"
"B-but I-I," I tried hard to find the right words to forgive my actions. I couldn't. I moved away quickly from the most likely confused boy ahead of me.
"Dan just stop a second and listen to me." Staying silent, I nodded. "Dan I liked it. I like you. I think you're cute and you're sweet and, and Dan will you be my boyfriend?" Shocked, I stared at Phil whilst shuffling closer. "B-but I thought you hated me?" My heart was beating ever faster.
"I could never hate you. I was just scared. You could never like me, being so, so endearing."
"Haha. I don't think anyone's ever called me endearing before. Philip Lester, I would be honoured to be your boyfriend."

They stayed there and watched the stars for just a little longer as they slowly drifted off to sleep. They were going to be happy together forever once they got out of the hospital, right?

Think again.