Chapter II: Sir Leon's niece

At the first cry of the rooster announcing the morning, Rei stumbled on the porch as he scampered out of their house. Biting a loaf as he was wearing his tattered waistcoat, he made his way to the road where Madame Prima's carriage passes by every Sunday. As agreed, Rei and Madame Prima would meet in front the barn to confirm if he could attend the squire.

His raven haired was neatly secured with a red garter at his nape. Rei's amber eyes were obliviously looked from side to side, no sign of carriage passing by. "I am not late yet, am I? Len's rooster just - "

Stomping horses stopped Rei's rant as a black carriage halted some meters away. He was sure that Madame Prima's carriage was blue and not black, but maybe she had encountered some bad luck that day. Rei watched the coachman to lean back and talk animatedly to who-he-thought the spinster from the kingdom.

"Good day, sir. Is there any problem?" Rei watched the coachman smiled in relief as his thumb pointed to the carriage.

"The lady inside wished me to stop her on the church. We're half a mile away from the church, and I fear not to bring her to her relative on time. They might worry." The coachman sighed. As he unfolded the piece of paper he was holding. "The address here says the house is near the clock tower of green fields," the man showed him the address.

Rei nodded. "Yes, it's a house near the foot of the hills. Is she Sir Leon's niece?"

"If that gentleman you're talking about was from Northern Pines, then yes."

"Alright. Leave me the lady, I know Sir Leon. My friend is his student. Just tell him to find his niece at the church." When he received the gleeful nod from the coachman, Rei pulled the door open. The coachman was just lazy to go back and do extra labor by waiting for the mass to finish. People, Rei thought, even when they had a decent job, they couldn't be a model of decency. "I still have few minutes to bring her there. If so, I could see Madame Prima. There's one road after all."

The sight of a girl around the same age with him, overwhelmed Rei's eyes. No strand of her hair could be seen dangling around her face, for it was kept by her bonnet. He could tell that. Her ruffled and frilled dress was astounding, one could easily tell that she was from a wealthy family. She fidgeted when she heard the door open. Her gaze was straight, seemingly piercing through him.

"Mister coachman, is that you?"

"No, miss. My name is Rei, I am a..." He would dare to tell, "future part of the squire of the kingdom. I volunteered to aid you to the church." The girl stilled, blinked then tapped the place before her seat, as if feeling where was the exit.

"Future squire, you say?" She smiled. "Why did you decide to make your way to a stranded carriage, sir knight?" There was mocking with her tone, but Rei was used with the same way of talking from Len. His blond friend always ridicules his dream of leaving the Green Fields.

"I thought this is the carriage where my Madame from the kingdom rides. She will bring me to the squire." Rei watched her move towards him slowly. He waved a hand in front of her but she didn't react.

Blind.

"Don't I trouble you for your schedule?" She asked as she finally touched the doorframe, only to be held by a rough palm to assist her down. 'Let me help,' is what Rei mumbled as she obligingly held on his shoulder and skipped down the carriage. "Thank you," she smiled, eyes piercing through him.

"Don't worry about my business. I shall meet Madame along the way. There's one way to get in and out of Green Fields, and that is to pass by this sole road. Come on before you may run late for today's mass." Rei signalled the coachman to leave as he put the girl's hand on his arm, and walked her to the church.

The walk was quiet and wary. Rei kept on turning his head, assuring that not a single soul had passed by before them. He was getting worried whether the old maid had forgotten their agreement last week so couldn't stop worrying. Meanwhile, the girl with him was quiet but of course, suspicious of him. She somewhat doubted his chivalry. Everyone could pretend to be a gentleman.

When they arrived, a commotion welcomed the two. The people attending the mass look panic stricken as the altar was still empty, waiting for the priest. A tall weary middle-aged man in long white dress passed by them, whispering the news that the harpsichordist wouldn't make it for today's mass. The man to whom he told the news answered that the harpsichordist was the only one who could play for that morning.

"Sir knight," sir Leon's niece called, "can you please inform the person stating the absence of the harpsichordist that I can play it for them,"

Rei looked at her inquisitively, a brow perking up in doubt. "Can you really play? It's a church thing and I -"

"Excuse me for my interruption, but I won't tell you otherwise there is no need for them to have a substitute harpsichordist." She said humbly yet her confident demeanor made look so high-class. Well, she really is.

"Of course, pardon me for my behavior." Rei did his best to hold his pride insulted from spilling and approached the man from a moment ago. "Good day sir. We've heard your dilemma and my company offers a hand to play the harpsichord - that's if you want to."

"We are more than grateful." The man's face seemed to glow. "Please do follow me on the stairs, God answered my prayers quickly."

The raven haired impatient boy went back to retrieve Leon's niece where he left her. She remained standing in there, staring blankly. He sighed audibly and announced his departure. "Little miss, they willingly accepted your help."

She smiled. "Can you bring me with them? This will be my last favor and you may leave me. I'll wait for my uncle here." He nodded and took her hand and assisted her upstair. When he settled her on the seat before the harpsichord, he bid adieu.

"Thank you, sir knight." Her fingers touched the keys. "I owe you."

"The pleasure is all mine, young miss. I hope to see you around. Good bye." Rei looked at her once more before running downstairs. The music began to play and he admitted that she was good. On his way down, he caught sight of a familiar scowl mixed on the quiet crowd - Madam Prima attended the mass.

"Madam Prima." Rei curtseyed beside Madam Prima. The old maid smiled and asked him to take the seat beside her. The boy willingly obliged.

"You've grown inches now. I assure you to leave by next month." The simple information made Rei so glad that he remained quiet yet blissful.

So next month it is.

A/N: Words coming from disheartened me.