Chapter VI: Broken Dreams

The rays of the sun didn't reach the pastures. It was a cloudy day, big fat gray clouds piled up in the sky with their bottoms darkening. The wind was somewhat harsh but not strong enough to drift a cart away. There were people collecting their harvested crops brought out for sun drying and all were moving quick to shelter it from the possible downpour. It would not be a fine day.

Len walked in a hurry, more concerned in tucking in his linen shirt to his pants as he marched his way to the clocktower. When he woke up to this gloomy day, the first thing he heard was his mother's call for him to rise and bring the young miss a bottle of fresh cow's milk. Other than that mundane duty, his mom came to him and informed him that the girl personally asked for him and Rei -- but Rei gave his apology, he has to attend forums with Madam Prima. So here he was, making his way to the clocktower as quick as he could, avoiding the possibility of showering under the rain.

The boy was crowded by the thought of his friend, Rei. The raven-boy never had left a day without telling him his business, but maybe when it comes to the fulfillment of his dreams, Rei was running errands. With a bottle of milk on his hand, and the other was fixing the ribbon of his hair, Len was contemplating whether he has done something to pave his dreams these past days. Unlike Rei, he couldn't qualify as hard working. Len sulked at the thought of him being tardy to achieve his dream for himself and the Green Fields.

He didn't notice that he was near the beautiful house of Sir Leon -- if it weren't of the pleasant keys being played in the grand piano. She was playing today. The last days he spent with the young miss, he has forgotten how she liked to play instruments. Len's worries faded as he stood in the doorway and knocked, announcing his arrival.

"Good morning madam, I'm here for the young lady's aid."

"You don't have to say that every time you will go here, Len. I already know you," Clara, one of sir Leon's housekeepers, told him and let him in. With a brief smile, he entered the grand house. It was the same feeling he always felt, the guilt of walking on the shiny wooden floor with his dusty worn shoes. Miku was playing some composition that he usually hears from the church. "She's on the grand piano, find your way sir." Clara left him as she snatched the bottle of milk he has.

His mind was putting him much pressure now. It wasn't like he was about to meet someone he had not laid his eyes before, it was just... Even Miku, she is doing something to achieve her dreams. She is practicing her piano skills, he thought. And he, on the other hand, was relaxing more than ever. Relaxing as if he was a Don.

There he saw her, hair laid back like fine curtains falling. Her dress was simple, not petticoated, it was white and has popped sleeves leaving her white arms exposed. Her face was serene, a smile lits up her angelic smile as the sunlight falls on her perfectly. Miku looks like an alive painting for Len.

"I apologize for intruding your rehearsal, young miss." Len announced his own arrival. At an instant, the music stopped and Miku's serene smile became overjoyed. She even stood and faced the wrong direction. Len wanted to laugh, his smile was mischievous as he stealthily walked where she was facing.

"Len! You're finally here. Is Rei with you?" Her eyes were glistening, Len was sure with that. He knelt in front her and took her hand, placing a chaste kiss at the back of her hand before rising and assisting her back to her seat.

"I am sorry to tell but he left earlier to attend a forum with Madam Prima," Len stood beside her, "I myself was not able to meet him today." He watched her as she sat quietly, back resting against his stomach. "Is Sir Leon not around?"

"He left early for some business I don't know. However, he promised that he will bring me to a doctor," she felt him left her back as her side sunk, Len was beside her, speaking casually.

The Classic Tale of You and Meजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें