Chapter XVI: The Cry in the Mellow Manor

The Classic Tale of You and Me:
The Cry in the Mellow Manor

Gray shawl draped on her shoulders. Still in her flannelette sleepwear that touched her toes, with her bonnet tied at her chin, Miku Raleigh and her attendant stood at the doorway of Lemmings Manor. Sleepy eyes blinked at her cousin and uncle, none of them talked. It is too early in the morning, the sun has not shone yet. Miku stood wearing her nightgown -- exhaustion still evident from her face -- and it needed no explanation that they left Selbst in a rush.

Rinto asked them in as Miss Ann showed them to the rooms they would use. Her uncle already knew that she would come today, but of course not this early. If there was someone to be blamed, it should be her Uncle Leon, for he woke her and told her that he would leave to travel back in Green Fields with Rei -- Prince Rei, rather. Her uncle also dragged Gakupo, Piko and Sir Tonio with him, leaving the lady with her female attendant alone. Since it was dangerous for two ladies to stay in the manor all by themselves, Sir Leon advised her to stay with her Uncle Rinto.

Basically that brought Miku on the doorway of Lemmings; passing through the gate was a piece of cake since it was left open. Miku saw the trail on the mud, assuming that their brougham left as early as her Uncle Leon -- or probably earlier -- and since the morning sun would be a few hours away, they kept the gates opened.

"You surely came early today," Rinto should not be saying this for the reason was evident. "Please feel at home, my beautiful niece."

"False flattery is not a nice greeting for your tired niece, Uncle Rinto." Her words hit him like the cold mist when he opened the door for her. Miku became colder after the ball and Rinto could not tame his own niece, even if he tried talking about flowers. He noticed how interested she was with flowers and their meanings--that was always their talk whenever they got the time to converse. But few days ago, after the ball from Buckingham, she became more irritable than ever, colder than she used to be. Miku talked less, and whenever she would, it was out of spite.

"Being vexed is not a good way to start your day." Rinto walked with her as Ann turned left to a certain corridor. "What makes you think that my flattery is false?"

"My face." She answered briefly, never sparing her uncle a single glance. "It does not coincide -- your flattery and my face."

Unsure what to reply, Rinto stood at the doorway as Ann escorted them inside. She was a cold woman, very unlike her mother. Miku's mother was a fine lady, very feminine, and soft spoken. Her daughter happened to be the exact opposite. Miku would ride horses as if she was a man, dashing along the downtown as though it was an open field. She would practice her skills in sword fighting with Gakupo or Leon himself. Rinto wondered whether Leon wanted her to grow up this way. But there were times his brother would scold her in helping in the garden, was that excluded from being unladylike?

"Ring the bell if you want anything." Rinto said when Ann came out, smiling at his niece who never had lit her face with a smile. She just nodded and shut the door softly.

Miku walked to the bed as Clara disappeared from the door on the left. It was another room connected to hers, though it was relatively small. Some place made for attendants -- of course, Miku was not so acquiescent about this. She could share rooms with Clara and it would not bother her. For almost half of her eighteen years of existence, the scullery maid was there for her. Pulling the sheets over her, Miku decided to continue her interrupted sleep. Her stay in Lemmings would not be so bad, given that she was also looking forward to visit this place for nearly a week already since the thunderstorms had not ceased by then. The bonnet was placed atop the bedside table and she was fast asleep. Blindfolded.

Rinto walked towards the stairs after coming out of that hall. He wanted Miku to stay in a room at the first storey, near the Mellow, to hasten her meeting with Len. He heard it from Leon before he left that the lady was persistent in searching for the young man, which was a good news for Rinto since Lui told him that their meeting would be the end of Leonard.