Chapter III: Kite and Life

Chapter 3: Kite and Life

A man born with talent is destined to be something more. The fortune knocks on his door, instead of him seeking it all over the world. Luck as it is called by others, but it is a gift for people with innate talents enriched.

Sir Leon, few weeks after the arrival of his blind niece, received a letter with the King's seal. The wise scholar living near the clocktower had a letter from the king, declaring him as the new Lord Chancellor, for the former one died just a week ago. The scholar's mind was blank - didn't know whether or not he'd be glad with the king's offer to him.

"Sir Leon, are you leaving to meet the king at the end of the week?" The scholar's student stared at the letter on the scholar's hand. Sir Leon has been staring at the letter since the day he received it, an unreadable expression was on his face. He sighed and dropped the letter on his table and turned to Len, the boy was sitting beside his table, his niece was holding at the hem of Len's shirt.

Sir Leon answered him that he's thinking about it.

"Isn't it a good offer? You love education and educating. The position does not require much of a work, if that's what are you worried about," his blond student told him innocently. The scholar sighed and stood, fingers resting on his chin and an elbow propped on his other arm. The king's offer is something hard to decline, as a matter of fact. Either his highness will forge it, or you'll be accused with your unfaithfulness to the kingdom.

"A position near the king, or anything taking place in the palace is something serious, Len. Life's not as easy as it seems to be. You won't like wearing wigs and fancy clothes on nonsensical balls - I swear, I'd rather read than dance."

"If you're worried about dancing, I'm sure you'll learn it soon. You learn things in a short time, cicerone." Leon sighed hopelessly, Len wasn't getting his point at all. He looked back at him, he was still seated with his seemingly mute niece.

"No, Len. I don't learn things uninteresting to me. Why don't you take Miku out for a walk, and I will take my time deciding for the matter?" His tired smile fooled his student enough for the farm boy nodded and assisted the blind girl and walked out of Leon's study room. When they were out of his vicinity, he mumbled; "why am I an adult again? I'd like to see things as simple as how Len sees it."

The scholar leaned on his seat and stared at the letter on his table, again, then brought his palm to his face. Things are getting complicated than he expected it to be. When he first came in the kingdom, he perfectly planned to be unnoticed by the king. Turns out to be a failure of his plan, though. He was not even done with his purpose of coming in the town, and his duty was not yet fulfilled. He could not take the king's offer, but how can he refuse? His shoulders sagged as another sigh escaped his lips.

Her quiet footsteps were taken carefully, her grip on his arm was suffocating every time they would step down from stair to stair. He just watched her, furrowing brows on some occasion. Len did not complain with Miku's grip on him because other than she is blind, nothing's left to understand deeper.

"Your name is Miku and you're as old as I am. You're from the colony, you lived in a place where only two seasons exist. You came here because your parents wanted you to learn and regain your sight - these are the only things I knew about you, Sir Leon's niece." Len guided her to sit under a tree, hands holding her hand as she lowered herself on the grasses. She gasped when she felt the tree's trunk rubbing on her suddenly - well, she lost her balance - and calmed down when her free hand felt the grasses.

"There's nothing important about me that you have to know," she mumbled, playing with the ribbon around her waist. Her smile was blooming like the sunflowers when he did not respond. She was always like that, smiling when he was silent. "What are you going to do now, Len? It's been a week that I am with you. I fear that I might be occupying your time that you should've spent on your works."