Chapter 3

After that night, Edward had stopped with his kind act that I just so happened to fall prey to and continued being cold to me.

I didn't understand him at all. If he loved me, why was he so cold towards me? Rosalie couldn't figure it out too. Was it something I (or the self that was meant to inhabit this body) did in the past or was it something different all together?

Officially one of the greatest mysteries of mankind.

I couldn't help but think about it as I went to put on my outfit of the day: a lavender purple dress with dark sewn floral patterns on it. I was starting to think that I used to love wearing flowers on my dresses.

I decided to explore Chicago in 1910s and had put on a matching hat with white feathers on the shorter side of the hat. It was perfectly balanced. I quickly headed out with an old-fashioned umbrella and opened it up. It was a hot day. I lifted my large skirt up when I walked down the porch. The dress was a hard thing to walk in.

I looked around at all the signboards and directions. I walked along the river I suddenly recognized.

The Chicago river was polluted with trash. Back in my time, it was already cleaned, but the pollutant levels were still high. The Chicago river in my time looked like nothing compared to the one I was seeing now in terms of pollution.

I walked along the river, following the direction of where it might lead me.

Soon, I found a bridge that many locals were using. I knew what bridge it was just from the first glance— the North State Bridge. I walked over to the very side of it and stared down at the river.

It felt so familiar to me. Its smell wasn't pleasant at all. It was disgusting and utterly unappealing to the eyes. My mind immediately went to the red dress that transported me to this time. When I wore it back in my time, it smelt exactly like—

"Isabella, what are you doing here?" I heard Edward growl from behind.

I looked at him and frowned.

 "Edward?" How did he get here?

He walked towards me and he wore a cold mask.

"What do you think you're doing here? Why are you even standing so close to the waters?" He roared in my face.

I felt myself growing in anger.

"What the hell were you doing here in the first place?"

I walk here from my home!" Edward replied back.

"What were you thinking? Are you suicidal?"

He asked.

"Isabella, we're getting out of here now."

"No!" I shouted back.

"What do you think you're doing, ordering me around? What am I to you? A slave?"

"Isabella—" he started, but I stopped him.

"No! You listen to me!" I was pushing at his chest with my pointer finger.

"You're going to give me another bruise and treat it again later but ignore me for the next few days, aren't you? Who do you think you are, huh? Breaking open and mending my wounds all over again? Why do you do this to me, Edward? Why?"

"Isabella, what happened to you?" He growled.

"Why are you like this all of a sudden? You know what, I don't care anymore. Do whatever you want to do. I mean it."

"Fine! You're so bipolar, you know! Always having split personalities! I'm sick of it! I'm so sick of it! What happened to you? I know you weren't like this!" I told him off.