Chapter 16

For my whole trip there in Chicago, I'd say it was all worth the trouble— meeting Edward was the best thing that ever happened during the two weeks here, but I had to go home. I had to catch up with Rosalie. I had to see how Tanya & Kate were doing.

"You're going away too soon," Edward mumbled against my hair.

"You'll be in Forks in no time. I'll be waiting, you know." I kissed his cheek.

"And I'll be there as soon as I can. This will be a reminder." He traced the white gold chain of the necklace he had let me keep even when I didn't ask.

"Yeah. Well, there are other people here sending me off too." I told him.

"I gotta say goodbye." I kissed his cheek again and walked over to my aunt Heidi and Jane. Heidi had her arms out wide and I did too, her lavender scent enveloping me.

"It's been a wonderful time with you around. Anything that you need to know, you just give me a call, okay?" She said.

"Your mother won't answer them since she hates time-travelling."

"Do you know the reason why?"

Unfortunately, she shook her head.

"I don't know why, but I know that something happened during that last trip of hers."

I pursed my lips.

"Well, never mind. Thanks for letting me stay over."

She nodded and Jane grabbed me into a hug that I never expected to come so fast. I stood there, stiff in shock.

"Oh, I can't wait to see you next time. We'll probably be at your house for Thanksgiving. Call me as frequently as you can!" She told me.

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too." I smiled back and she let go of me. I went back to Edward who was talking to Alec a little. He looked at me as I approached him again and his arms locked me into an embrace, his hands at my back. He looked into my eyes and I felt everything melt away that instant, including the way Alec watched us with an eyebrow raised.

He lowered his face to mine as he pressed his lips against mine. He breathed out into me, his peppermint taste filling my mouth. His lips slid against my lips and I pulled away, but his forehead was leaning on mine.

"I already miss you." He whispered.

"I miss you too," I replied and he kissed my forehead before his arms fell back to his sides.

"Last call for flight ABQ57. All passengers, please check in now. Thank you."

I waved my goodbyes at Alec before I got through the checkpoints and took one look back at everyone. I smiled at them and I watched Edward for five seconds before continuing to walk away from them until I couldn't see them anymore.

"Bella!" Rosalie squealed as she grabbed me into a hug. She lifted me off the ground and my eyes widened in shock. She sure was strong and I'd known that for years, but she never failed to surprise me. She finally put me down and I took a moment to regain my balance.

"Oh god," I rubbed the temple of my forehead.

"I wasn't expecting you to be here."

"How can I not be here when I've missed you for weeks? Anyways, your mother's sick and she can't pick you up from here so I decided to. Come on, let's go to the shop. I've got so much to show you. Oh, and Tanya & Kate are excited to see you after the trip." She informed me, taking my luggage from me as we left the airport.