Chapter 8

"Bella, are you okay?" Edward seemed worried.

"You look a bit... pale."

I chuckled humourlessly.

"I'm always pale, Edward."

He sighed, standing up.

"Bella, let's get home." He picked up Peter from my lap as he sucked his thumb. Edward held his hand out and I took it, standing up too.

We were back at home in fifteen minutes and Peter was getting restless. He reached for me and I took him from Edward's arms silently. He immediately quietened down as he leaned against my chest, listening to my heartbeat.

"So when is Alice & Jasper picking him up?" Edward asked.

"Tomorrow. Half past eight in the morning." I replied in a clipped tone.

He closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Bella, you have to tell me what is wrong. Is it about the baby?"

"Yes it is." I replied simply.

"Bella, I have never met a woman who has never wanted children. If you don't want this—"

"I want this, okay?" I snapped.

"I want this child! I want children! I want to be there for them when they grow, from the day they are born to the time when they have children on their own! I want to see them at their graduation at school, their wedding and every key milestone in their life! Unfortunately, I won't be able to!"

Edward shook his head, bemused.

"I don't understand."

"Of course not," I snorted.

"You wouldn't understand. I'm dying, Edward. I'm dying."

He frowned further.

"You are dying? How? Is it a sickness?"

I sighed, closing my eyes tightly.

"I don't have an illness, Edward. I won't last long. I'm going to die soon. I can't tell you how. With every second we're wasting, I'm closer to death!" I exclaimed angrily.

Peter bursted out in tears and I took a deep breath, hushing him. I glanced at Edward before going up to the guest bedroom beside mine & Edward's. Edward shadowed me and I quickly took out a diaper from the bag Alice gave me. I undressed Peter and wiped his body with wet tissue paper as a substitute for wet wipes that hadn't been invented yet. He was kicking the air, his fingers in his mouth as he stared at me. I put the diapers on him and dressed him in his nightwear.

I picked him up and turned around, finding Edward face-to-face with me. I took a step back, startled but then masked it with coolness. I walked around him just to put Peter to bed. He was already yawning, his eyes fluttering as he tried to stay awake until he was lying on the bed. He immediately passed out the second I put him in bed. A small smile broke out on my face as I stroked his chubby cheeks.

I then went to my bedroom and changed into my satin and lace nightdress, removing my corset. I was pregnant; wearing corsets probably wasn't the best thing to wear during a pregnancy. I emerged from the clothes divider and he stared at me like I was something to eat.

"I know what you are doing, Bella," his voice was low and strained.

"I don't even understand why you are furious at me."

"I'm not. I'm furious at myself for thinking that I could ever... My chances of death are higher whenever I'm at that wretched ri—" I stopped my sentence before anything that wasn't supposed to be revealed came out. I walked closer to Edward, trying to breathe out all of my anxieties.