Chapter 15

"You know, I haven't gotten a gift for your father yet." I told Edward.

"You don't need to," Edward said.

"Just be there and it'll already be a gift."

I didn't agree to what he said, but I had an idea.

"Edward, could you pull up to the nearest chocolate store?"

He never questioned me, but we arrived at one in a minute or so. I told him to stay in the car while I got whatever I wanted to give Carlisle. He would probably not remember me since this was a different life and this was my form of thanking him for whatever he did to help us in our previous lives and anyways, I couldn't show up at a birthday dinner where almost nobody knows me and not give something.

I got out of the car and entered the little shop. The smell of chocolate wafted through the air and I sighed in bliss. I looked at the chocolates on display and smiled when I found what I wanted. I got an employee at the shop to help me put my chosen chocolates into a rectangular box. I paid for it using my credit card and left the store with a relieved smile on my face.

After that, we were at what I assumed was like the Upper East Side of New York, but this was in Chicago and a little more fancier. Edward killed the engine and opened the car door for me, then passed his keys to the valet outside the restaurant that was called Grandeur. I made Edward face me once we were at the sidewalk in front of the restaurant and brushed off some dust from his suit and I corrected his tie a little.

"You really don't wear suits that much, do you?" I chuckled.

"Like I told you, the last time I wore a suit was when I was fifteen." He defended, then our conversation stopped at that.

I could feel Edward's eyes on me after a few seconds. I paused under his gaze and looked up at him. "What?"

"I have a feeling you used to do this for me in our previous lives." He commented.

"I always did this for you— nothing quite changed." I told him with a small smile on my face.

"Thank you," he said.

"I never really know what to do without you for the past couple of days."

"All you need to do is thank me," I told him.

He then linked arms with me and at the gesture, I frowned.

"My mother taught me that I should make sure that I'll never leave my date alone by linking arms." Edward explained.

"Oh." I just said and we entered the restaurant. The maître d' glanced at Edward and immediately led us to a private corner of the restaurant. As we were approaching the long table, I could recognise everyone— Carlisle, Esme and even Alice, but this time, she had a short and spiky hairdo. It suited her energetic personality, which I was sure she never lost even for this current life. They all were in their own conversations among each other when Edward & I arrived.

"Mom, Dad," Edward said and their heads snapped up.

Esme's face brightened up when she saw Edward. She stood up and had her arms out.

"Edward, don't you look dashing," she complimented, hugging him. She let go of him and her eyes examined his suit.

"Well, seems like your suit is done up correctly without me for the first time in your life."

Edward smiled in humour. "I have someone to thank for that."

He looked at me and Esme followed his stare.

"Oh, is this your plus-one?" Esme asked.

"She's gorgeous." I flushed a little at her compliment and she took me by the arm and made me stand next to Edward. She studied us for a few seconds and her smile lit up more.