Chapter One:Everly's POV

I woke up to the alarm on my phone saying to me 'Wake up Everly, time to come see me at school' it was the recording of my now ex-boyfriend's voice but now it just made me want to just roll over and go back to dreaming of us never being together. I just found out that he had been cheating on me with my best friend, Claire, for the past 3 months.
I got up anyway and checked on my baby brother whom I shared the room with. I took a shower, got dressed, woke up and fed my brother while getting him ready for daycare. I was like his mother even though i am sixteen, it's not like our mother gave a damn about us anyway.
I got my brother and brought him to the living room to get his shoes on. It was filthy in there with our parents passed out on the couch and the floor, and the smell of alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes. I've never liked it here but I need someplace to stay and care for my brother. We walked out of the house holdings hands as we went to school like always.
(Later in the day)
It was the last class of the day and I was glad. Now I can get away from that prick I thought loved me and the terrible friend I had. The bell finally rang and I speeded out of the school and down the road. I picked up Jason, my 4 year old brother, from day care and went home to her screaming parents. They got into fights about everything like what to eat, how much one is smoking or drinking, or literally anyything. This time it was different tho, they were fighting about us, they never fought about us,  they've never cared enough to but I know hey still don't.
We left them alone and I sent Jason to our bedroom while I made him apple slices. I did my homework and played with him until it was 8:00 pm which meant time for bed. I help him get his pajamas on and tucked into bed. I lay in my bed waiting for the fighting to stop when I hear Jason say " Evy," "Yeah?" I reply. " Can you sing to me?" I would always sing to him when he was scared or sad. " Of coarse.b" I say." What would you like me to sing?" "Heart dreams!" He says happily. It was his favorite song from Cinderella, it was also the first song he had ever heard, and it makes my heart glow just to see his smile even if he wrong, it just makes it more cute. I got up and kneeled next to his bed and stroked his hair as I began to sing. "A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're sound asleep, In dreams you lose your heart ache, whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through, no matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true." By then he is asleep and I walk over to my bed and lie down wait for sleep to overcome me.
I didn't realize I was asleep until I wake up to a loud 'BANG'! I quickly shoot up and run to my brother, he is the most important thing in my life, I can't let him get hurt. I realize it came from from the living room and I cautiously walk down the hall. I peek my head slightly around the wall and see my father standing over my mother with a smoking gun in his hands. I don't give him the chance of seeing me as I run to my room, grab Jason, and scramble out the window with him. He wakes up and asks "What's going on, Evy?" I take his hand and say "Nothing, but we have to go now!" "But why?" "Just because Jason, now run!" We started running towards the tree line of the forest in our backyard when I head another 'BANG' as something whizzes past Jason's head. I tell Jason to keep running and he does so I look back to see my father in our bedroom shooting at us with the same gun he had just murdered our mother with moments ago.

Hi to the people reading this. My name is Adrianna(you can call me skittles)and I'm not a very good writer(in my own opinion, if you care to disagree I won't stop you). I know this is a bit lengthy but we needed some info and all hell breaking loose. *chuckles*. I hope you like this but if not that's ok. Please leave a comment or suggestion I could use for the story or my writing skills.
                                    -Skittles