Nine

"Oh my goodness, you are still asleep? Wake up, Abbey! You are going to be late for your first class!" Camille said, while she pulled the blanket away from my body, allowing the breeze from the cold and rainy morning to seep into my bones, causing me to shiver.

"NO! Go away, this weather is meant for sleeping." I pushed the pillow against my face in an attempt to stop the light from ruining my sleep.

"What do you mean no. You must wake up. Right now!" She slapped my butt.

"All right, all right, I'm up! What time is it?" I yawned, as I turned my back against the morning light.

"It is already ten-thirty. Don't you remember that you have class with Sir Nicholas at eleven sharp?"

"Shit!" My eyes flew open as I jumped out of bed, but instantly remembered the "rules" that I had read last night when I saw Camille's shocked expression.

A lady does not use rude or shocking language.

Well, if it wasn't for him, I would have been having a good night's sleep rather than having to burn the midnight oil just for a dumb book.

"Umm... I mean goodness me! Look at the time now," I sat up and slipped into my slippers, causing Camille's shocked expression to turn into a soft smile.

Last night, I had made up my mind to finish these "princess" lessons to the best of my ability, not only because I wanted to leave this house, but it was partly for Agnes too. I decided that I wouldn't want to disappoint her. So, from this day onwards, I will try my very best to get along with that beast. And so here I was, running down the hallways towards Nicholas' room, with a long red lacy dress and heels that I donned.

Can't I just wear flats? Or better yet, bare-footed?

Not only did I feel like my feet were on the verge of breaking, but I was also struggling to lift my dress for the freedom to run faster.

Once I reached the front of his door, I stormed into the room, accidentally slamming the door during the process, causing Nicholas to stop what he was doing and search for the source of sound. I glanced over to the clock.

11.15. Great I am late.

"I'm sorry I'm fifteen minutes late. But I am willing to add another additional fifteen minutes to-"

"Get out." He interjected sternly as he leaned back onto his chair.

"What?"

"You heard me, get out." His head tilted to the direction of the door, with his eyes staring intensely into mine.

"But I just got here." I replied, still confused about his sudden change in behavior.

What is he playing at?

"Do not make me repeat myself again. But if I do, you would be wishing that I never did." His words exuded power and authority, but I wasn't afraid.

"But what did I do?" I frowned and folded my arms across my chest.

"Until you have learnt proper manners, I suggest that you stay out of this room. Perhaps, you would care to remember what is written in point number 10 of the book." He proceeded back to reading his documents on the table, leaving me completely dumbfounded as I exited the room.

What did I do wrong?

I paced along the hallways in search for an answer. If it weren't for Agnes, I would've walked out of the house by now.

Number 10?

The door.

Oh, no wonder he was pissed.

Quickly, I turned back to where I came from and knocked on the door before entering once more.

"Okay, I know what I've done wrong, and I'm sorry, I will never do it again. So, would you please proceed with your teaching?" I said confidently, proud that I had found the answer to his sudden change in behavior.

Seconds later, he slammed the documents on the table and stood up, taking long strides towards me as I stumbled back and hit the cold hard wall.

"You don't get it, do you?" His tall, large frame stood hovering across me. I gulped at the proximity as his breath caressed my skin. I shook my head slowly, causing a sigh to escape from his lips.

Ever so gently, he brushed his fingers across the side of my lips, leaving me in utter shock at his intimate gesture as he tasted the contents on his finger.

"Hmmm, whipped cream. Seems like Camille is taking great care of your dietary needs." His hands then went to my collar, tucking it nicely with fingers brushing across my collar bone.

"But not so much pertaining to your appearance." He scoffed, before drawing away. His remark about Camille stirred something in me that urged me to stand up for her.

"It's not her fault that my appearance is in a mess. I am the one who gave her strict instructions to not help me in changing my clothes. Stop pushing the blame onto others without getting your facts right!" The image of wanting to get along with him instantly vanished as I felt my blood boil. I didn't know what came through me. It was an impossible task to begin with.

"Oh? So, I suppose it should be you that I should blame then?"

"Yes! I am the one who should be blamed. Not her. Besides it's my fault that I woke up late in the first place." I glared at him.

"Well then, until you have realized the true meaning of punctuality and self-appearance, stay away from this place. I am warning you, Miss Abbey," he emphasized as he tucked his hands into his pocket, "I may be tolerant on your previous behavior, but from now onwards, there will no longer be a Mr. Nice Guy from me. Because in three months, I am going to pass you off as a woman of poise, a maiden, not a girl with a childish and immature mentality like yours. Do I make myself clear?"

I closed the gap between the both of us and tip-toed so that I would be on the same eye level as him.

"Transparently."