Fifteen

Nicholas

"With all due respect, you cannot force me to comply into a situation." I said firmly. Despite having high status and wealth, I often found myself suffocated, locked away from freedom. It was a luxury that I longed for, yet always out of reach.

"See to it that all preparations are made." Mrs. Dolittle stood up from her seat and approached the entrance.

"And Nicholas," she called out, "I trust that you will not disappoint me." With that, she took her leave. I may be portraying a calm demeanor, but in truth, I was shaking in anger. I wasn't one who would lose my temper, but after being forced into a situation where there were no alternatives, I was left helpless.

I guess I have no other options but to follow through with the plan.

"Sir, are you sure about this?" Christian, who was by my side throughout the entire conversation knew exactly what I had to do. Concern dripped from his voice. It was evident that he had a strong aversion to what was about to happen.

"No. But I have no choice." I simply replied, leaving him standing in the living hall, while I made my way back to the study room.

"Who shifted my belongings!" Anger slipped out when I noticed that my desk looked a little neater.

"Uhm... I did..." Someone said quietly. I turned and looked at Abbey who was a little startled. I on the other hand, completely forgot that I left her with two mathematical questions to solve. Unfortunately, anger got the better of me and I needed to relief a little steam.

"And who gave you the permission to do so?"

"I was finished with the two questions you had given me, and I got bored. So, I took the initiative to pack your table. It is my fault; I should not have shifted your things without permission. I am really sorry." She replied uninterruptedly.

Her behavior took a strange turn. Normally, she would bicker with whatever I have to say, but today, despite my display of temper, she was unusually calm and patient. For some reason, I was a little annoyed at her composure as she tried to resolve the current situation; this further fueled the already blazing rage within me. Not getting the anger relief that I hoped for, I walked over and peered at the board that was now filled with scribbles.

"What utter nonsense! I have never seen such a formula in my life!" Which was true. I have never encountered it throughout my years of learning.

"I'm sorry, but this is as far as I got. I didn't know if it was correct. So, I decided to wait for you and have you look through my steps." She replied calmly, and then continued, "If it is alright with you, I will start from scratch by learning your method."

"Learning is nothing if you do not do your best nor put in your utmost effort! And what you are doing here, is not effort, it is rubbish!" I shouted as I picked up the duster and erased all the workings on the board.

"The attitude that you have towards learning will and always make you a failure in anything that you do. It is truly a pity; Agnes should have given up on you when she had the chance."

I was shocked at the words that came from my mouth. Her face was immediately flashed with anger and hurt. Mostly hurt.

What have I done?

I felt horrible. A pang of guilt overwhelmed me. I hated myself for letting something I didn't mean slip out of me. It was because of my inability to control my anger that led the people around me to get hurt.

"Look, I-"

"Am sorry? Save it. You simply told the truth, and reminded me of how awful I am. I know how reluctant you are to teach me, so for the sake of us both, I am calling it quits. Oh, and to save your sorry ass, if Agnes questions about this, just announce that I was the one who initiated it." She started heading towards the door. There was nothing I could do to appease the situation that I single-handedly created. I was pathetic.