Five

I tried to make a run towards the pavement, but my legs just seem to stay planted to the ground. My heart was palpitating at an incredible rate to the point where I could feel the rush of blood through my veins. Heat course through me, threatening the release of a pool of sweat.

I guess this is the end for me. Goodbye Mom and Dad. Goodbye Alice and Julie.

As the sound of the hooves became louder every second, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, bracing for the impact that never came.

A soft breath, reeking of livestock, caressed my face. Gingerly, I opened my eyes to the sound of whine and snorts. The horse was standing close to my face. Its shiny coal black eyes stared straight at me, reflecting my image. Then, its head bowed down to mine, as if it was wanting me to pat him. Slowly, I stretched my hand and touched the soft and silky hair of the horse, causing it to neigh in response.

It's so adorable!

I giggled softly. But the happy moment was soon interrupted by another voice.

"It would be much appreciated if keep your hands to yourself, Miss." A masculine voice sounded.

Backing myself away from the horse, I lifted my head to took a glimpse at the rider. He wore a white-bowed top with a beige vest and long black coat. His neatly combed black hair gave me further access to gaze upon his face. My heart stopped momentarily as he stared at me with such stern eyes, highlighting his strong jaw line. Like those historical fiction that I have seen in the movies, he was very handsome. In fact, he was the most good-looking guy I had ever seen. I was left dumbfounded.

"Abbey!" Julie hollered while she rushed to my side, pulling me away from the horse, causing me to nearly tripped on my long dress. Turning her head, Julie bowed down in embarrassment to the man before us.

"S... Sir" She stuttered, with her trembling hands clutched together. I was confused by the sudden change in behavior that Julie was displaying.

Why is she so afraid of him?

I let my thoughts wander off, without even realizing that the man had already gotten down his horse and was standing right in front of me. It wasn't until Julie nudged me that I notice the man standing a mere inch away from me, with his brown eyes staring deep into mine. I was so shocked by the distance between us that my breath hitched, compelling me to take a step back.

"Well, Miss, shouldn't you apologize for blocking the way?" He smirked. Immediately, I tilted my head up and stared at him, portraying the most intense gaze that I could muster.

Me? Apologize to him? I'm the one that almost got killed, not him. Was he trying to make a fool out of me? He just messed with the wrong girl.

Gathering my confidence, I retaliated against his remark. "Excuse me sir, but who do you think you are?" I placed my hands on my hips and inched closer to him as I emphasized on the word 'sir'.

"Don't you think it's unfair for me to be the only one apologizing when the one who was nearly killed is in fact, me! Besides, you didn't even ask if I was alright."

"Why would I even apologize to someone who ranks lower than me?" He debated. I was furious by what he just said. He looks graceful and elegant on the outside, but on the inside, he was none other than a First-Class Jerk.

Never judge a book by its cover.

"Oh and you expect that I apologize to a rude and conceited fella like you? Ha! Over. My. Dead. Body!" His smirk that was plastered on his face finally disappeared but was soon replaced with pure anger.